UKC

climbing everest on tv . NOW bbc4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 colina 31 Jan 2013
May be ok! 9pm (bbc4 today Thursday)
Pinged 31 Jan 2013
In reply to colina:

Is it just me or is it a bit 'educational tv'. And the narraror....straight from channel five's 'massive ploughs'?
 markK6 31 Jan 2013
In reply to colina:

Repeated at 3am tomorrow

Also

11pm tonight Eiger Wall of Death
12 midnight Mountain that had to be painted
 Mike-W-99 31 Jan 2013
In reply to colina:

Yes, the commentry is a bit dry but the film and subject matter make up for it.
OP colina 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Pinged:
> (In reply to colina)
>
> Is it just me or is it a bit 'educational tv'. And the narraror....straight from channel five's 'massive ploughs'?

no its not you .I thought the same...disappointing but at least we know what different crops grow in Nepal .will sleep well tonite
Pinged 31 Jan 2013
In reply to colina:

we also learned two things about the centre of kathmandu...

it has many hazards AND the traffic 'is a nightmare'

Prof. Brian Cox and this is same week is all a bit much for my tiny mind.
 goose299 31 Jan 2013
In reply to colina:
Caught the last minutes. Wouldn't have minded watching a bit more.
Was going to watch the Eiger show but I've seen it countless times and couldn't sit through it again.
In reply to colina:
> (In reply to Pinged)
> [...]
>
> no its not you .I thought the same...disappointing but at least we know what different crops grow in Nepal .will sleep well tonite

+1
 EeeByGum 01 Feb 2013
In reply to colina: Really enjoyed it. Walking for two hours down and then back up a steep mountain path to primary school without parental supervision certainly raised my eye brows. Even my three year old can moan that he doesn't want to go to nursery.
 digby 01 Feb 2013
In reply to colina:

It had a quaint Pathé Newsreel quality about it. It looked a little as if they put it together from surplus footage from another film.
In reply to digby: Yeah, I did notice repeat shots(x3 or 4) of a guy hauling a yellow ME duffel bag onto his back.
In reply to digby:
> (In reply to colina)
>
> It had a quaint Pathé Newsreel quality about it. It looked a little as if they put it together from surplus footage from another film.

yes, that was my thought. it looked like they set out to make a film about finding Irvine's body, then didnt find the body and had to make a late change to the film's focus. as a result it was a bit unsatisfactory both as a account of the expedition, and in giving a good insight in the work and life of sherpas.

the voice over was grating- why did they not have the sherpas tell us most of its content, translated, but in their own words?

not a bad programme, but not quite what was advertised and could have been much better. lovely to look at though,

cheers
gregor
 Will Caesar 01 Feb 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: Agreed. Seemed like a hasty switch of subject. At least half of it dominated by the search for irvines body. All in all, I thought it was a bit shit.

It would have been far better if the narrator had been a guide or even a sherpa to provide more insight. It would have been better still if they'd tinkered with it a bit more so it was less about the search and more about the subject matter.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/07/everest-expedition-irvine-remai...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...