UKC

scottish ski conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 01 Feb 2013
pondering an on piste day trip with the kids, any first hand snow reports from the last few days ? probably anoach mor or glencoe.
ta
mike
 Cuthbert 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mike123:

http://www.winterhighland.info/

The only place for info.
moffatross 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Yep, winterhighland is the one stop shop. Also, any reports from the west in the last few days will be irrelevant because any loose snow left over from earlier this week will have shifted yesterday and been topped up with about a foot or two of fresh.

Gazing into my crystal ball, conditions will be best tomorrow and Glencoe will be very busy, but Nevis less so. Flypaper will be closed, the back corries will see some action. Sunday's weather will be a bit manky but most people will still enjoy it although a few people will say it is 'crap' and not like the Alps at all.
 Cuthbert 01 Feb 2013
In reply to moffatross:

Spoke to Andy Meldrum this morning and he said Etive Glades and Flypaper shut due to avalanche risk but all uplift open and good cover. You can ski to the car park apparently if you dont mind a few rocks at the bottom.
moffatross 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Interesting. I didn't see Etive Glades being closed for avalanche risk in the crystal ball although guessing that's to keep folks away from Cam Ghleann and maybe even the steep faces of the wall which will likely be unstable.

Thankfully, any stones near the bottom of the run to the car park aren't the core shot variety and higher up near the fence, the worst to negotiate is usually just a bit of scraped peat.
 Chad123 02 Feb 2013
In reply to mike123:

Great Day to be out in the hills today, plenty of powder snow if you hunt in the right places, and the pistes had reasonable cover too.Not sure if I believe the "foot of fresh" they mention on the websites and the snowline is a bit too high for touring, but plenty of fun to be had....

http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?21,2013-02-02
 AG 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Chad123: I was touring yesterday from the road side - conditions were good with powder/hard snow and wind packed, and the pistes i saw were in excellent condition with full cover on and off piste.
Glenshee area is very good at the moment for touring - should be even better with more snow forecast....just need the wind to bugger off!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...