UKC

Wadi Rum and cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 01 Feb 2013
I'm off to Wadi Rum

I'm a bit unsure whether to take a dSLR and risk trashing it with sand, or to try and make do with a compact camera. Or I could take my old 450D and kit lens, which is a bit more expendable. Does anyone have any advice on this? We will be camping.
 jamesc88 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle: It'd seem silly not to take a decent camera to me. If you don't want to buy a new one then yeah, the 450D would do. Take a plastic bag, cut a hole in it for the lens and strap an elastic band to it. Instant weather sealing for free (or 5p from your local M&S).
 Brian 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle: I wouldn't dream of going without my
DSLR
 Solaris 01 Feb 2013
 richparry 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:
I took the same camera (35mm compact with slide film) to Wadi Rum 3 or 4 times before it finally stopped working properly. It always seemed to me that no matter how careful I was, sand would get everywhere.

The sand eventually got into it.

Awesome place though.
 andi turner 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle: Are you going on the international meet?
In reply to Dan Arkle:

You should take DSLR and a compact... My 400d survived without any issues, but my new at the time Panasonic compact did suffer the rest of its life with a gritty lens cover.

Incredible potential for night time shots, so the DSLR will come into its own.

Enjoy it and start early on anything big. We were up at 4:00am to do the Pillar of Wisdom, but meant plenty of time to negotiate the summit and get down in daylight - despite our third visit to the summit plateau, we still got lost for 40 mins - incredible place!
OP Dan Arkle 02 Feb 2013
Thanks all, I'll take a well wrapped dslr!

Andi- my dates are overlapping the international meet, but we are not part of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...