UKC

Take dog to Atlas Mountains?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 01 Feb 2013
Assuming one got organised and sorted out the legalities/practicalities would it be realistic to take two dogs to the Atlas?

Assuming that the dogs are happy enough in the Scottish hills (not spiky rock) and that we'd be considering non-technical routes, and that we'd keep a close eye on the beasts etc, can it be done and the dogs have a good time?

Would they handle the altitude? Are there lots of sheep everywhere?

Really not sure of the answer to this one so fire away...
 Steve Perry 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward: Only if you like visiting your dogs in quarantine.
 Dauphin 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

Plenty of the local dogs and wild mammals will be carrying rabies...

D
 sarahjk 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

Slightly different, but I brought my dogs back from USA after living out there. The paperwork was huge and complex, and there are certain things you have to do within 24 hours of flying which may be awkward to organise, especially without local knowledge. you also need to consider heat acclimatising, travel/flying trauma etc, extra immunisations [and side effects].

Unless you are going for a pretty long time I wouldnt bother.
OP Siward 02 Feb 2013
In reply to sarahkeast: yes, I thought it would be unlikely but harboured a small hope that in fact someone had done it before and found it to be no hassle. Oh well...

Surely though rabies can be vaccinated against?
 sarahjk 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward: yes rabies can be vaccinated against. Process, 4 years ago for N America was: get dog micro chipped get rabies shot, record chip details with shot details. Wait. 6 months. Get blood work to show titer is right level for vaccine. Wait 3 months. Enter UK within 1 month. Might be off on length of windows, and not sure on exact other stuff such as flea and tick treatment that has to be done by approved vet within 24hours of travel. Even my experienced US vet messed up paperwork delaying all our flights two days. Cha Ching

And that is even assuming morocco is an approved country.
 Trangia 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

Rabies aside, I doubt that the local dogs will welcome them into their territory!
 Iain Thow 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward: Ask Hamish Brown what he did with his dogs on his many Morocco trips.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...