UKC

Alternatives to Seamgrip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 03 Feb 2013
I'm a fan of it, use it a lot for all sorts of repairs and like the way that it's quite liquid and permeates fabrics.

However... there are times when I'd quite like something that is thicker and tackier for certain jobs, a bit like a stickier version of silica gel. I suspect that my local builder's merchant will have something, but can anyone else suggest?
fil-p 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B: what are you wanting to use it for ? I've used bison glue for repairing the gaiters on my phantom ultras with good success. Also used a product called "stix all" used it fill in the recess on the sides of nomic handles. It sets more like rubber rather than silicon. Also a friend has used it to aid friction on his axe handles and shafts. Hth
OP Jamie B 03 Feb 2013
In reply to fil-p:

Mostly plugging holes in gloves and boots.
 Rich W Parker 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

As an aside, I've found that P-Tex is great for repairing holes in the rubber rands of boots.
JB I have some of that.
 Nick_Scots 03 Feb 2013
Some folk dilute down silicon sealant for various jobs. Although more a sealing and waterproof barrier than structural.

fil-p 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B: defo bison glue rubber repair. Like in my earlier post, I repaired my phantom ultras with it. Sets fast and is very flexible too
 steveshaking 04 Feb 2013
In reply to fil-p: which bison glue did you use?
drmarten 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
> (In reply to fil-p)
>
> Mostly plugging holes in gloves and boots.

In diving they use drysuit cement, don't know enough to recommend a particular brand.

jonnie3430 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

I tried shoe glue to replace the worn sole at the toes of my boots and it held up for 4-5 routes, which is better than seam sealant would have. Am thinking of doing it regularly, it's easy ( prop the boot upside down, tape around the toe, fill hole with glue and leave to set,) and would save on resoling (always goes at the toe.)
fil-p 04 Feb 2013
In reply to steveshaking: hi. It's their liquid rubber I used. Sticks really well, it's clear so you can't really see it. Works well
 steveshaking 04 Feb 2013
In reply to fil-p: cheers
 Simon Preuss 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
I used Freesole urethane glue to glue a rubber patch onto my leather boot after I accidentally put a crampon gash in the side of it. Seems to be holding up well. I also used it to fill in where the rand was coming away.

The key seems to be in the preparation of the surfaces: roughen up well and remove all wax and oils from the area to be glued using thinners.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...