/ Pleasley vale - ooh....spooky!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sleepy_trucker - on 03 Feb 2013
I was at a bit of a loss for something to do today so I decided to take the dog for a walk to have a look at pleasley vale as I'd like to go there when the weather improves a bit.

Anyway, there was a hunt going on and we ended up sort of stuck at the eastern end where I'd walked almost to the top of the rocks (waiting for the hunt to go past). Once the horses and dogs had gone, Daisy (my springer) suddenly fixed her gaze on a patch of rock a few yards away and at head height, backed into the corner she was sat in and started barking and shaking, still fixed on this one point.

It's very unusual for her to bark, she's a gun dog and therefore generally very quiet but something was obviously upsetting her so we moved on - as we walked past the point she was staring at, her eyes never left it for a second :S

They say dogs can see/sense ghosts so, I've just googled "is pleasley vale haunted" and it would seem it is (if you believe in that sort of thing), "most haunted" did an episode there but I think it's based on the mill rather than the grounds.

Anyone else got any spooky stories?
Timmd on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sleepy_trucker:I've had one 'spooky' happening in a manor house near Rotherham, which used been a hospital, and then a home for children who were mentally handicapped, and somewhere for shellshocked soldiers to go to, at different times in it's history.

Me and my parents, and my brother and his friend, and L one of the owners of the flats, were there one evening chatting, while her daughter E was asleep in her bedroom, when we all heard childrens' chatting coming from her bedroom, in a babbling kind of language, rather than English. My mum asked ''Is that E?'', to which L replied ''No it's the ghost'', by which time she'd go to E's bedroom door, where the chatting suddenly stopped the moment she opened her door to check on her.

To me it sounded distinctly like 3 voices chatting, and my mum can remember hearing it too. It's not made me decide that there are people's spirits floating about or anything like that though, it could be something to do with quantum physics, or or it may have been E talking in her sleep, but the chatting sounding very like 3 voices (I can remember picking out each one in turn) and stopping when her mum opened the door, seemed peculiar.

Apparently other residents there have seen a ghostly dog, and experienced other things happening, but i've only heard the child(ren) chatting, whatever it actually was. Wooo... (:-))
TheDrunkenBakers - on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Sleepy_trucker:

Scooby Dooby Do, where are you.........................?
Dave Kerr - on 03 Feb 2013

I went to the loo the other day and after the usual straining and sweating I heard a distinct splash. However, when I looked down into the pan...nothing! Freaked me right out I can tell you.
Bulls Crack - on 03 Feb 2013

Or maybe she just smelt something?
ThunderCat - on 03 Feb 2013

> They say dogs can see/sense ghosts so,

No, they can't.

>I've just googled "is pleasley vale haunted" and it would seem it is

No, it's not.
In reply to Bulls Crack:

No idea, I just saw it as food for thought really especially when I found pleasley mills has a reputation for being haunted.

Orgsm on 03 Feb 2013

A fox?
In reply to Beat me to it!:

You can't cite it's appearance on Most Haunted as proof that it's haunted, or that anything 'ghostly' has any basis in reality

Timmd on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:We don't even know what reality is yet. How do you know ghost aren't imagined, but not spirits either?

Cold be down to worm holes in space and there being a multiverse, ie in another universe somebody drops a shoe, and you hear a thud here and wonder what it was.

It needn't be either ghosts existing or it all being imagined, there could possibly be something in the middle ground.
Bulls Crack - on 03 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> No idea, I just saw it as food for thought really especially when I found pleasley mills has a reputation for being haunted.

But ghosts aren't real so probably something she smelt? My dog goes all weird now and again - particularity if its dark, freezes, turns and bolts for home for no reason - but that's dogs for you: no reason!
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)We don't even know what reality is yet. How do you know ghost aren't imagined, but not spirits either?

Because there are many reasons a dog might stop and stare at a spot in space - why pick the most ludicrous one as the actual reason?

Because there is not one single solitary bit of proof or evidence that they exist.

Because the very nature of them doesn't make sense

Because anyone who claims to be able to communicate with them cannot do so under laboratory condition.

Because every photograph of one is blurry, taken from six miles away in the dark through mist.

Same goes for channelling, dowsing, UFO's crop circles, remote viewing.

All of it. Complete. Utter. Bollocks.

A bit of critical thinking is all you need. And sticking the words Quantum Mechanics in an answer does not suddenly give it credence :)
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)We don't even know what reality is yet. How do you know ghost aren't imagined, but not spirits either?
>
> Cold be down to worm holes in space and there being a multiverse, ie in another universe somebody drops a shoe, and you hear a thud here and wonder what it was.
>
> It needn't be either ghosts existing or it all being imagined, there could possibly be something in the middle ground.

Could be - or it could be down to active imaginations coupled with a lifetimes immersion in scary stories and movies, plus the fact you already 'primed' by knowing you're going into an area that has a reputation for being haunted - is there some sort of positive feedback loop going on here?

Please don't anyone tell me they take Most Haunted seriously....has no one actually gone and googled "Kreed Keefer" for f*cks sake?

In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]

> Please don't anyone tell me they take Most Haunted seriously....has no one actually gone and googled "Kreed Keefer" for f*cks sake?

Sorry - "Kreed Kafer" that should have read

In reply to ThunderCat:

You sound quite upset. Were you molested by a ghost as a child?
I'm not saying it's haunted, ghosts exist or anything really - just that it was spooky and it turns out that the mill itself is supposedly haunted; I meant it more as a bit of fun really.

The most wanted thing is tosh (imho) I've just watched it and now wish I could get an hour of my life back....

Saying that though, in my opinion if I was told I'd been right next to a ghost/spirit/whatever in the last 20 years and asked when I thought it was - this would be a good guess.
In reply to Dave Kerr:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
>
> You sound quite upset. Were you molested by a ghost as a child?

Not upset at all - trying to put a reasoned bit or argument up against woo whoo is a bit tricky at times, is all. :)

> Saying that though, in my opinion if I was told I'd been right next to a ghost/spirit/whatever in the last 20 years and asked when I thought it was - this would be a good guess.

You know what I mean about being 'primed' though dont you - all that rumour and history gets under your skin and suddenly every creak and shadow becomes a ghost.

There's an old castle beside where I use to live and it had it's own ghost. We used to hang around there at night and dare each other to go near it. In the daytime it's a lovely old building but at night it bloody scary. I got very close to it once, and then saw the ghost. Really did scream like a girl and legged it.

http://www.visitsunderland.com/attraction-details.asp?venueid=11

It turned out to be a few whisps of smoke from a burning pile of leaves that the groundskeeper had left that afternoon.

In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
> [...]
>
> Not upset at all - trying to put a reasoned bit or argument up against woo whoo is a bit tricky at times, is all. :)

It can be but noone was arguing for woo woo in this thread which made your comments sound a bit odd.
In reply to Dave Kerr:
> [...]
>
> It can be but noone was arguing for woo woo in this thread which made your comments sound a bit odd.

"Can dogs see ghosts" and "is pleasley vale haunted" aren't woo woo?

In reply to ThunderCat:
> [...]
>
> "Can dogs see ghosts" and "is pleasley vale haunted" aren't woo woo?

No, because it seemed pretty clear that the post was just a musing on spooky experiences rather than actually suggesting that his dog had seen a ghost.
In reply to Dave Kerr:
> [...]
>
> No, because it seemed pretty clear that the post was just a musing on spooky experiences rather than actually suggesting that his dog had seen a ghost.

To you maybe.

Sigh, ok Dave, you've gone the UKC route of picking some silly little on-line fight. I'm bored already. Go ahead and have the last word.

dissonance - on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

> All of it. Complete. Utter. Bollocks.

i think you should tell us how you really feel about it.
In reply to ThunderCat:
> [...]
>
> Sigh, ok Dave, you've gone the UKC route of picking some silly little on-line fight. I'm bored already. Go ahead and have the last word.

Erm, it seems a little odd to accuse me of picking a fight when you weighed in with phrases like "Utter. Bollocks" and "for f*cks sake".

But I guess it's your ball and you can go home with it whenever you like.

Timmd on 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
>
> Could be - or it could be down to active imaginations coupled with a lifetimes immersion in scary stories and movies, plus the fact you already 'primed' by knowing you're going into an area that has a reputation for being haunted - is there some sort of positive feedback loop going on here?

That's all possible too.

stroppygob - on 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Dave Kerr:
> (In reply to Sleepy_trucker)
>
> I went to the loo the other day and after the usual straining and sweating I heard a distinct splash. However, when I looked down into the pan...nothing! Freaked me right out I can tell you.

Commonly known as a "ghost sh!t".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.