UKC

Ladies with longish legs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ranger*goy 03 Feb 2013
I'm 5'8" and I'm struggling to get some new outdoor trousers. I dont live near any outdoor shops and darent order online because they rarely fit right. Its the leg length thats the main problem. I'm about a size 10 and need 32" leg. Most size 10s seem to be 31" or less.

Can anyone recommend a brand or shop with lots to try on?

I managed to have a quick visit to Manchester on Fri. Ellis Brigham had hardly any trousers at all. Cotswold was better but the 10s I tried on were still quite big around the waist and the leg length a bit lacking.

I'm female btw.
 Jon Wickham 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy: Some brands make women's trousers in long leg lengths. Off the top of my head these include Arc'teryx, Haglofs and Mammut.
OP ranger*goy 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Wickham:

I have looked at haglofs but havent actually found any in the longer leg length yet.

Will look into the other 2.

Part of the problem is that retailers dont even list the leg lengths online.

Alice Turner 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

I have the same problem and just go for mens' trousers. Recently quite pleased with Rab Sawtooth for long leg length.

Good luck!
 Tall Clare 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

I've found Haglofs, Mountain Equipment and Lowe Alpine to be quite good for longer legs.
 Ava Adore 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

I don't have long legs. At all. I just came onto this thread in a fit of masochism.

Sigh....
In reply to Alice Turner:

Just seen some ladies Rab with a 32" leg. All the shops are miles from me and I do need to try on. I'm a funny shape or something, cant order for my bottom half online

Might have to plan a days driving to some outdoor shops. I've got birthday money burning a hole in my purse!
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to ranger*goy)
>
> I don't have long legs. At all. I just came onto this thread in a fit of masochism.
>
> Sigh....

I bet you can buy trousers though!
 sarahjk 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

I am same height and have similar issues. Tried some montane men's pant cos girls one were rubbish. Too short.

Highly recommend Patagonia gear. Well worth the extra few notes. Great cut, length choices and last really well.
 Ava Adore 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

I see a ray of sunshine
In reply to sarahkeast:

Thanks, another one to search.

Now I just need a shop which sells all these in one place for my convenience....
 nniff 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

Pick your size from here http://www.mammut.ch/en/apparel_sizes_charts.html and then ask Rich at Peglers to order you a pair
 Alice Turner 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Yes - not looking like a clown in ordinary trousers shouldn't be undervalued: I choose between trousers stopping just short of ankles or a gusset somewhere around my knees.
 Ava Adore 03 Feb 2013

Might I recommend knee high boots?
In reply to nniff:

Thats a very long way to drive for me! I'll keep it in mind thanks
 Ava Adore 03 Feb 2013

Well, I was thinking more these:

http://www.matchesfashion.com/product/130318

But they are pretty cool!!
 Alice Turner 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Only if I can resole 'em in Stealth rubber.
 Ava Adore 03 Feb 2013

Definitely. And they have uses dry tooling.
 Alice Turner 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Problem solved. Thank you!!
 peas65 03 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

I am 5 ft 8 too with long legs and find regular length haglofs fit well, Patagonia are long in the leg and rab is also quite long but a bad fit. Avoid Mountain Equipment as they are very short.
 Tall Clare 03 Feb 2013
In reply to peas65:

I'm now wondering whether I just struck lucky with one particular pair of ME trousers... I do remember some ME powerstretch I wore years ago being more 'capri pant' length...
 colina 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

hi ranger ,im actually a man 6'5"..i unwittingly bought a pair of "quechea" stretchy walking trousers from decathlon nr stockport and they fit me perfectly I have a 33" leg .hasten to say ive kept them,prob the best trousers ive bought to be honest.keep it quiet though I don't want everyone to know i'm a cross dresser on the hills.
going for a walk now so just need to put my "face on" !

try decathlon some good stuff there honest.
OP ranger*goy 04 Feb 2013
In reply to colina:

Cheers all. Some good ideas.
 dek 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:
Sale of Patagonia alpine trs in Blacks winter sale, they have very long legs.
Nearly half price I think.
 grommet 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy: I'm 5'10. Mountain equipment pants for me.
 colina 04 Feb 2013
In reply to colina:
>
> hi ranger ,im actually a man 6'5"..i unwittingly bought a pair of "quechea" stretchy walking trousers from decathlon nr stockport and they fit me perfectly I have a 33" leg .hasten to say ive kept them,prob the best trousers ive bought to be honest.keep it quiet though I don't want everyone to know i'm a cross dresser on the hills.
> going for a walk now so just need to put my "face on" !
>
> try decathlon some good stuff there honest.

shd have said they were womans trousers

OP ranger*goy 04 Feb 2013
In reply to colina:

I guessed they were womens.

Dont worry, I wont tell
JPSC 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

My wife is about as tall as you are, though a 12, and thinks the Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch trousers in long are excellent. She has both normal for summer/autumn and lined ones for winter - mostly from TKMaxx at good prices. Have a look on this link

http://www.wearitoutdoors.co.uk/womens-craghoppers-kiwi-pro-stretch-walking...
 tlm 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

I have 34" legs!

I love Hagloffs - they seem to be longer and thinner than most other brands, for both trousers and tops. However, I have to buy blokes versions as the largest women's versions aren't big enough for me.

I also have to just use a proper belt (a leather one with a buckle) as the waists are never thin enough on any trousers, even when they fit my bottom! So they end up being a bit of an odd shape on me.

Am I sounding like a weird freaky person yet?
 Tall Clare 04 Feb 2013
In reply to tlm:
>

> Am I sounding like a weird freaky person yet?

You wouldn't be you if you didn't

katiep 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:
I'm 5"6 and I've got a great pair of Mountain Equipment trousers, that are a tad long for me.

I tend to trample on the bottoms unless they are pulled up to become very high waisted.

Carolyn 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

Mammut are definitely worth a look. I have a pair (size 38 - probably 10-12) that are longish on me - I'm 5 ft 8, and usually buy a 31" leg for casual use. As far as I know, those are the standard length, so if they also do a long, that would likely have loads to spare.

There's always Paramo for the ultimate in, era, practicality! They definitely do different leg lengths, and are very functional, but whilst they're great on a rescue, they don't look so good in the pub afterwards.....
 FrJ 06 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:
I'd second the Mammut for range of fittings. (I'm a bloke with short legs and found these were about the only brand with range of lengths). I'd also second Peglers as supplier: probabledly worth a phone call over a simple online as there may be items that are not listed on the website.
OP ranger*goy 06 Feb 2013
In reply to tlm:
>
> I have 34" legs!
>
> I love Hagloffs - they seem to be longer and thinner than most other brands, for both trousers and tops. However, I have to buy blokes versions as the largest women's versions aren't big enough for me.
>
> I also have to just use a proper belt (a leather one with a buckle) as the waists are never thin enough on any trousers, even when they fit my bottom! So they end up being a bit of an odd shape on me.
>
> Am I sounding like a weird freaky person yet?

That sounds a little like me. I have discovered haglofs tops and love the longer arms and body. I no longer get a draught up my back

JP88 06 Feb 2013

I'm female 5'9" and get on fine with Haglofs and Patagonia (in regular leg lengths), both have quite an athletic fit - so suit slimmer waists and longer legs.

Most shops, especially in towns/cities are pretty pants at actually stocking a decent range of women's kit. If you're ever about Hathersage, I found the few shops there normally present a good few options. Or just buy online and have to send back the ones that don't fit.
 spearing05 06 Feb 2013
In reply to colina: 6' 5'' with 33'' leg? I'm not quite 6'2'' with 34'' leg so either you have a long to or I have a long bottom :-P I do struggle with leg length also getting waist to fit without being tight on my bum and thighs need a belt with nearly all trousers. ME do a long leg but finding someone who stocks them is difficult.

Most of my trousers are compromises. For three ladies with a 34'' leg I'm not sure the idea of blokes trousers will work
Jim C 07 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy: and here was I hoping that this thread was going to be a parade of photos of lovely long ladies' legs , and all we got was sensible sartorial advice.
 LaMentalist 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to ranger*goy) and here was I hoping that this thread was going to be a parade of photos of lovely long ladies' legs , and all we got was sensible sartorial advice.

I'm hanging around just in case .....

<now sleeping with one eye open>

.... ;0)
In reply to ranger*goy: I've hear that "hold up" stockings are very good insulators....
OP ranger*goy 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to ranger*goy) and here was I hoping that this thread was going to be a parade of photos of lovely long ladies' legs , and all we got was sensible sartorial advice.

A rare thing on here
OP ranger*goy 07 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

And my legs usually have a few bruises so not that lovely really
OP ranger*goy 28 Feb 2013
In reply to ranger*goy:

I got myself sorted out with trousers today.

Rab Sawtooth, 32" leg, fit lovely. And Craghopper Kiwi Stretch in a long.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...