UKC

which tablet for granny's?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber david 04 Feb 2013
Which tablet would you recommend for a relatively tech savvy granny. She has a laptop and can do email, browsing, skype etc on the laptop but wants a tablet and ereader.

It needs to have:
ability to download amazon kindle app (definately kindle, not an equivelant)
Web browsing
a reasonable selection of apps which appeal to the older generation

One of her friends has a kindle fire HD and she liked the look of that but others have suggested the samsung galaxy tab 2.

A few on UKC have said good things about the nexus 7 as well.

Which of the above (or different altogether) would you recommend, bearing in mind that all of the above can be had for around the same price and she doesn't want to spend £400 on an ipad.

Thanks

David
 The New NickB 05 Feb 2013
In reply to climber david:

All the grannies I know, which is a surprising number, have iPads, the reason being to FaceTime family members around the world who also have iPads. I can't can't be much help beyond that.
Jim C 05 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
my wife is a granny and uses this iPad I am writing this with no problem , if that is any help.
And of course it works fine for granddads too!
That said a granny can be in her 30's so the term is a little misleading as a measure of age related technophobia .
In our case , there were not even any calculators when we were at school, but we still manage to work an iPad, and so does great grandad, when he drops by. ( but at 78 he prefers his laptop on his wireless network)

ice.solo 05 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Yep. My mums the same.
 efrance24234 05 Feb 2013
In reply to climber david: boots do a great a-z multivitamin.
 Swig 05 Feb 2013

You can get the Kindle app for everything so that doesn't narrow it down.

I wouldn't pick a Kindle Fire over a Nexus 7. You get the latest version of the operating system rather than Amazon's cut down version.

The Apple stuff is probably the best still though.

Techradar did a round up: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/10-best-tablet-pcs-i...

However it's probably aimed at a more tech-savvy market. A starting point though.

ALC
 John Ww 05 Feb 2013

Granny's what? You don't specify the medical complaint, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice.

OP climber david 05 Feb 2013

Cheers so far guys. The only problem with the iPad is cost of it. She doesn't have £400 to spend on it.

@Swig, I was thinking the same about the kindle's OS. I would definately rather she got the nexus 7 for all round use

As for size, they are all much the same so it's the internals I'm asking about.

We'll go and have a look in the shops as well but I think it's definately between the sasung and the nexus, with a slight lean towards the nexus

Thanks

David
 The Lemming 05 Feb 2013

Don't choose a Kindle Fire as its a hatchet job of Android. Why have an operating system which is restricted and heavily adapted to Amazon when you can have a completely unrestricted Android operating system that can happily take Amazon products?

My mom who is 66 has a Kindle and iPad but spends more time on the iPad. My dad 69, got a Nexus 7 recently and loves that.

I have an 10" Asus Tablet and love this as it has a real keyboard that can be removed at will and has more connectivity that any other tablet out there.

There are also 10" tablets that can also be had for well under £400. Apple isn't the big boy on the block any more.

Long story short, choose an Android but don't choose Amazon's version which is a restricted Android OS.
 timjones 05 Feb 2013
> (In reply to climber david)
>
> Cheers so far guys. The only problem with the iPad is cost of it. She doesn't have £400 to spend on it.
>
> @Swig, I was thinking the same about the kindle's OS. I would definately rather she got the nexus 7 for all round use
>
> As for size, they are all much the same so it's the internals I'm asking about.
>
> We'll go and have a look in the shops as well but I think it's definately between the sasung and the nexus, with a slight lean towards the nexus
>
> Thanks
>
> David

I have a nexus and bought my sister a Samsung for Christmas. Given the choice again I'd buy another Nexus, it sends to have a simpler no frills user interface.

balmybaldwin 05 Feb 2013

If your granny wants to use it for cooking etc, consider the sony xperia s, the splashproof feature means its much happier in a kitchen environment, and can be wiped clean witout worry.

Also a good choice for reading in the bath etc, and has a very good universal remote feature for operating tv, sky, dvd etc.
 iksander 05 Feb 2013
In reply to climber david: In the same situation. You can get a natty bluetooth stand/keyboard for Nexus 7 which swung it for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...