UKC

XX1 - thing of beauty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lurking Dave 05 Feb 2013
Wow, XX1 cassette is bloody gorgeous, just assembled rear wheel. 10 cogs milled and CNC's out of a single lump of metal... light and Very sexy.

Not cheap mind, has anyone been running XX1 long enough to know how they wear??

Cheers
LD
 Enty 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Lurking Dave:

On my road bike I had a SRAM Red cassette - CNC machined from one lump of metal, very light, very sexy, expensive - lasted 3 months

E
 Radioactiveman 05 Feb 2013

Dunno but clean and lube after every ride will ensure it lasts longer,the maount of abrasive crap that the chain attracts is impressive and changing the chain at 0.75% stretch. should maximise its life span. Good practice for any drivetrain I guess
 MHutch 05 Feb 2013

Isn't it 11-speed, or did I just imagine that?

WAIT. HOW MUCH?
 Toby_W 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

Oh, just got an SRAM black cassette less than half price.

Pros
Lighter than dura ace about the same as the ti campag heavier than KCNC and ALu cnced.

Cons
Noisy (don't mind I've run KCNC and others like them with low weight)

Poor shifting, it's the worst shifting cassette I've ever set up although it does now shift properly it's not a patch on DA or campag, possibly similar to a KCNC.

Cost, even at half price it's expensive for it's performance.

Cost again, if as you say Enty it won't last then i could have bought the cheaper and lighter Alu CNC machined cassettes I've used before.

They do look pretty though.

Cheers

Toby
 Enty 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Toby_W:

See how you go with it - they're ace when they are new.

My SRAM Red Cassette came as part of a group set which was cheap anyway so I didn't notice the big price hit.
Still, I have 4 sets of wheels with a mixture of cassettes, 11-21 , 11-23 and a 12-27 which I swap and change between 3 bikes on a regular basis.
The only one which wouldn't run with anything else was the SRAM Red cassette when it was just a couple of months old - I think it was machined out of a billet of Lurpack.

Now I just buy the standard PG1070's which you can get for less than 50 quid. They're easier to clean too.

E
 Toby_W 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

Mmmm I am trying to ween myself off my shiny expensive bike parts habit but then I saw this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14505

Read the details.

You know when you really want something but know you'll probably never get it, like the campag corkscrew?

Ssssss the precious

Cheers

Toby
OP Lurking Dave 05 Feb 2013
Enty: 3 months!? shhhhh
MHutch: Yes 11 speed so only one chain ring and no front mech.

Price - for the cassette frightening, but for the Group no too bad (one less shifter, one less mech).

Cheers
LD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...