/ Lotus Flower Tower

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
peaker16 - on 05 Feb 2013
Hi guys, I'm thinking of putting together an expedition to the Cirque of the Unconqerables to climb The Lotus Flower. Could anyone give me any advice on flight prices in and out of the Cirque and logistics for the trip in general. Also how long should we plan to stay there to ensure a chance of good conditions to make sure we can have a crack at the tower?!?! Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Adam Long - on 05 Feb 2013
In reply to peaker16:

We went with Kluane airways: http://www.kluaneairways.com/unclimbables.html

Warren is a legend and will look after you well, he also does a great job as the closest thing the Cirque has to a caretaker. Floatplane between 4 and hike in is the cheapest, but its worth looking at getting the heli in as you avoid a very tough walk, gain a climbing day, and can take far more food and luxuries. We got lucky - paid for the floatplane but got heli-ed in as the floatplane was being serviced! For a real adventure you can paddle in and out by kayak or pack-raft.

I'd plan on ten days as a minimum in the cirque. The weather is not great (not dissimilar to UK), and you want to get your money's worth!
Martin Wing - on 05 Feb 2013
In reply to peaker16:
Iv sent you an email mate.
ddriver - on 12 Feb 2013
In reply to peaker16: Did it way back in '92, so prices have probably changed. We used Deh Cho Air out of Fort Liard, rather than fly out of Watson Lake. I think it cost about $2500 Canadian for an Otter and that included a flyover and landing at Virginia Falls on the Nahanni River. We were there 20 days in July and had about 4 near-clear days, just enough to do the Lotus, though it rained and snowed on route at times. Our first 4 days there it rained about non-stop, but there is a big enough cave to retreat into. The hike up and in is not trivial but it builds character. We ferried food loads for our stay, so at least we got to do the hike in the rain more than once. All in all a lovely time.

There was a very young German team there at the time who planned to hike out to the river and float it. That is big adventure. Don't underestimate how far out in the woods you are with this one.
Jonny2vests - on 25 Feb 2013
In reply to peaker16:

Get the heli, get the heli.

If you get sick of rainy walks in the meadow whilst you wait for a weather window, there's lots of steep bouldering and the odd bolted line.
Jonny2vests - on 25 Feb 2013
ddriver - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2vests:

I think that was called Il Pinguino. Not much consolation for the trip in. ;)
Jonny2vests - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to ddriver:
> (In reply to jonny2vests)
>
> I think that was called Il Pinguino. Not much consolation for the trip in. ;)

We called it the Cobra, not our name, from somewhere else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.