UKC

Any Vets online? Cat's got a sore leg....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 05 Feb 2013
Our cat disappeared for 24h the other day. When it came back it was limping badly and had a big laceration across the back of it's rear right leg. (sort of between the pad and the big joint)
It's toes/claws and the pad were tilted upwards.

There's a vet down the road who's a mate of a mate and she came round, sprayed some iodine on it then stuck some elastoplast sticky bandage on it. She said remove the bandage, spray some more stuff on and if it doesn't get infected it should be fine.

Now, a day later I'm worried about the upward pointing claws, when you touch them there's no movement in them and it doesn't cause any pain. I had a hunch there was something wrong at the time but it's wierd - how does a stupid bloke like me question a vet? I've googled this and the symptoms look like a digital flexor tendon rupture. I thought that there might be tendon damage anyway.

The other thing is the bandage - she stuck the effin thing directly onto the fur? Is this normal? It's the really strong sticky stuff and we're thinking we might even have to take her to a vet just to have the bandage removed. We've been snipping the fur around the edge of the bandage with Mrs. Ents hairdressing scissors and it's taking all day. Cat seems to know we're helping and is being very cool about it.

Anyone care to comment? Looks like a trip to another vet.

Pissed off,

E
In reply to gingersmut: Steady on, no need to get catty about veterinarians.
 andyb211 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty: Did said vet who did house call who is a mate of a mate charge you?? if so I'd be whingeing like f*ck mate.
After sales care seems somewhat lacking! Take Mog back for a re tread and respray and a proper bandage.
OP Enty 05 Feb 2013
In reply to andyb211:
> (In reply to Enty) Did said vet who did house call who is a mate of a mate charge you?? if so I'd be whingeing like f*ck mate.

Bottle of wine

> After sales care seems somewhat lacking! Take Mog back for a re tread and respray and a proper bandage.

Aye looks like it - still haven't removed the bandage.

E

The Big Sender 05 Feb 2013
In reply to gingersmut:
> (In reply to Enty) Does it have a puss-tule? Good luck with the vets, I can't understand quite how they get away with charging the amount that they do.

.... pustule. they charge the rates they do to cover their exceptionally high costs. drugs and materials cost alot more than people think and diagnostic equipment runs into the tens of thousands for the most basic set up.
OP Enty 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

Thanks for the personal emails everyone.

Very reassuring,

E
Jamming Dodger 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty: Maybe its a French thing? When I lived in Compiegne I found a cat in the road at 1am which had been run over and was barely alive. My mate wanted to finish it off swiftly with a large stone but I persuaded him and the others to go look for a vet. When we did eventually find one the cat was euthanised (not surprising, it was in a state) but he injected it directly into the heart through the chest and charged me for the priviledge (not even my cat!). I wish we'd gone for the stone option...
Cheaper and less traumatic all round.
 jon 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

Let me guess, that was TJ's ex? Shit, an animal deserves better than that - especially a super affectionate little thing like yours. Another vet, I think, and lots of tlc.
ceri 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty: Hope the cat is OK! With the toes pointing up I would be worried about the flexor tendons too, good luck and shame on the vet for not bandaging it properly.
 andyb211 06 Feb 2013
In reply to The Big Sender: they charge the rates they do to cover their exceptionally high costs. drugs and materials cost alot more than people think and diagnostic equipment runs into the tens of thousands for the most basic set up.

Ahhh, Mr E, similar to the high costs involved in producing climbing dvds one would imagine? Eh Cap'n arhh!
OP Enty 06 Feb 2013
In reply to all.

Thanks for the replies and personal emails - much appreciated. Here's an update.

Why oh effin why didn't I follow my instincts on Monday!!

We went to the vet this morning. Apparently I was bang on with my own diagnosis - lacerated flexor tendon which the first vet completely missed. The cat will need an op but apparently it might be too late to re attach the tendon but he's going to try and at least sew up the wound.

On the + side he's quoted us only 110€ + the cost of antibiotics which is better than we expected.

Thanks again,

E
OP Enty 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

F**k! Vet just phoned. Can't stitch tendon back together so just going to sew her up. Cat will have limp for ever now!

E
 Ava Adore 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

If it's any consolation, cat will probably less bothered about it than you will. They are very resilient creatures. I presume though you will be having words with your "friend"?
OP Enty 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

update #2

So when the vet had a look at the wound he decided to have a bash at suturing the tendon back together. So now we have a cat with a massive pot on her leg tapping around the house.
She's in a bit of pain but at least long term things are looking better for the mog.

E
 Tall Clare 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

Glad she's heading in the right direction. In my (distant) memory of having a kitten with a cast on a back leg, it didn't seem to slow her down... you'd hear a clump-clump-clump as she chased her sister up the inside of the curtains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...