UKC

NEWS: Sasha Digiulian Hits The Daily Mail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Feb 2013
Sasha Digiulian Montage Image, 3 kbBritish Newspaper The Daily Mail has run an online feature on the US climber Sasha Digiulian.

The photos are fantastic, the article not quite as fantastic, but overall it's a great spread and excellent to see climbing in the mainstream media.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67796

alooker 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: seems that the Mail comments are more 'yer gonna diiieeeee!' than supertopo! Article isn't great journalism but as you say good to see climbing in the mainstream media.

Best female climber in the world?!
 Cameron94 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Atleast the headline wasn't "climber clings for dear life above rock face with only 1 safety rope".

The photos are cool but the journalism is the standard from mainstream media.
In reply to Cameron94:

Haha, climber clings by her figner tips to conquer mountain above certain death.
 Milesy 06 Feb 2013
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

What was the one recently that said with no safety ropes when the guy was clearly climbing with a rope and a belayer..... :/
Wiley Coyote2 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:
It's a reasonable, though hardly brilliant, piece for a mainstream paper and, oddly enough, reads like it was written by a climber since it throws in 'sports climbing' and 'bouldering' without any explanation as if the writer thinks they are in common parlance. Probably also a freelance, possibly the photographer, since the pix are great and the words distinctly average and it's full of hyperbole designed to catch an editor's eye.
Sure there's nonsense in there. Both my kids tried to climb out of their cots and played on monkey bars too but neither became top climbers Can't undersatand it. But, hey, this piece is not written for us and let's face it, we've all seen an awful lot worse.
The comments on the mail article are hilarious!

She will die doing what she loves I guess.
- Cc , Minneapolis, United States, 04/2/2013

I admire her athleticism but I do not want to read the headline that will eventually be printed.
- Sharon , Dallas, United States, 05/2/2013
 The Ivanator 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: "she turned 18 on her first attempt"
- surely her finest achievement to date!
 williap 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I read a similar shortened version in the Times yesterday as well!
 winhill 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

It's just an advertorial for Adidas isn't it?

I wouldn't have thought the DM wrote any of it, unless to anglicise it.
 HarmM 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar: it's the daily mail would you expect anything less...
 Tommyads 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: #
Strength: Sasha is the youngest female to have successfully completed the hardest climbing route taken on by a woman - the 5.14d graded climb

eh? is she the only or the youngest?
 AlexBush 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Why are there so many Americans commenting on a British paper? Can they post their drivel in their own papers please?
 Lhod 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Tommyads:
> (In reply to UKC News) #
> Strength: Sasha is the youngest female to have successfully completed the hardest climbing route taken on by a woman - the 5.14d graded climb
>
> eh? is she the only or the youngest?

She's the youngest. Josune climbed 9a about 10 years ago, Charlotte Durif also might / might not have done
 Lord_ash2000 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Although I'm sure Sasha is an amazing climber and I'm glad it's making the mainstream media a bit more. Do they and UKC have to use that image of her head witht he open mouth, its repulsive to keep seeing, I'm sure there are many better photos of her.
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
>its repulsive to keep seeing

Bit harsh.

cap'nChino 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: crap article (as you'd expect from dm when climbing is involved) but stunning photos. I'd love to read a proper article on her and the photographer.
 Styx 07 Feb 2013
In reply to cap'nChino:
> (In reply to UKC News) crap article (as you'd expect from dm when climbing is involved) but stunning photos. I'd love to read a proper article on her and the photographer.

The photographer, Keith Ladzinski, has a website with some of his work on here: http://www.ladzinski.com/site/ Worth checking out.

The Daily Mail have a habit of picking up on climbing news that happened over a year prior, paying for the rights to use some shots and putting it on the web as if it was breaking news. There was an utterly ridiculous article they put up late last year proclaiming Leo Houdling as the first and only British climber to have scaled El Capitan (which they also got the height of incorrect, I recall).
 MattMac 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Great comments indeed, my particular favourite:

'Most of these photographs are either upside down or the photographer was floating in mid air. This is a very very old trick to make climbing shots seem more dramatic.
- Robert, London, 4/2/2013 16:02'

Lukeva 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
> (In reply to UKC News) Although I'm sure Sasha is an amazing climber and I'm glad it's making the mainstream media a bit more. Do they and UKC have to use that image of her head witht he open mouth, its repulsive to keep seeing, I'm sure there are many better photos of her.

Repulsive, really?
 Tall Clare 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Lukeva:

Some UKC folk are never happy - lots of pictures of a young, attractive, female climber, and *still* someone grumbles!
 Robert Durran 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

> young

relatively

> attractive

arguably

> female

undeniably
 Robert Durran 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Lukeva:
>
> Repulsive, really?

Yes

Alyson 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Lukeva)
>
> Some UKC folk are never happy - lots of pictures of a young, attractive, female climber, and *still* someone grumbles!

I'm with you on this! I like the picture - full of a joyful spirit. Since when were mouths repulsive?
myth 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Alyson: nice photo of her looking a bit crazy, better than the stern broody look some people pose. Though I wish they would crop the shoulder to the right out, very distracting.

I think it's hard to say she isn't s pretty girl even if she isn't your type. Good on the girl for her achievements even if the Mail are inaccurate and dated.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: She is clearly an attractive girl who is bloody good at what she does. I don't know what people's problem is.
Wiley Coyote2 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to UKC News) I don't know what people's problem is.

That's simple. It's the Daily Mail and therefore must be attacked on sight.

Jackwd 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: She's my future wife, I just haven't told her yet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...