UKC

Top tips for cleaning awkward cuts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 06 Feb 2013
In a spot of ham-fisted matching I managed to crush my little finger and force the side of the nail through the skin. Not the first time I've done this by any means but this one is proving rather slow to heal. I've now got a finger that is slightly swollen back past the first knuckle and is periodically emmitting a bit of cream cheese

Looks to me like I've failed to get it properly clean, so any tips for how best to irrigate a cut that runs under the nail? Gently holding it open with a clean scalpel and flushing it with warm water has proved pretty ineffective (and a smidgeon uncomfortable).

Before anyone says "go to the doctors" I'm saving that for when it either starts smelling like rotting fish or if my nail drops off
 cuppatea 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Pull the nail off then give it a good scrub with a wire brush and Dettol.
Suck all the gunk out, like the way cowboys get snake venom out?

Or go to the Doctors.. sounds like you're not squeamish or allergic to pain and it may well be infected.
 Richard Wilson 06 Feb 2013

Fill an egg cup or similar with a solution like TCP ect & dip the finger in it for as long as you can.
OP Reach>Talent 06 Feb 2013
In reply to cuppatea:
I really don't want to haul the nail off as it is only just under one edge. There is a very good reason that nail extraction has historically been used as a method of torture!

Tried holding it open and sucking the gunk out and it wasn't particularly effective.

Pinged 06 Feb 2013

Bear G would tear the nail off with his teeth and then piss on it
OP Reach>Talent 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Pinged:
Bear G would tear the nail off with his teeth and then piss on it

Yes but it is ok to do that if you have an anaesthetist just out of camera shot and can spend the next week recouperating in a 5 star resort, with a cosmetic nail technician to tend to you. However I'm planning on going to the wall again tomorrow

cuppatea 06 Feb 2013

Encourage it to weep by soaking it in warm salty water?

I'm just guessing. None of the above should be taken seriously. Like all my posts
Pinged 06 Feb 2013

Haha..and his Mum in case he needs a cuddle
 hamsforlegs 06 Feb 2013

I've done this a couple of times. Use a needle or similar. If the cut/infected area is bigger a drawing pin might even work.

Get it red hot in a flame for a while and/or give it a thorough scrub with TCP and then drive/screw it through the cut area into the infected flesh. Once in, give it a good wiggle around and then squish/squeeze/massage any goop out. Repeat until looking a lot flatter and cleaner. Then apply a lot of TCP and a sterile dressing.

Obviously this is a ridiculous idea and will probably lead to your finger falling off but, well, it has worked for me in the past...
 Timmd 06 Feb 2013
In reply to hamsforlegs:
> (In reply to mkean)
>
> I've done this a couple of times. Use a needle or similar. If the cut/infected area is bigger a drawing pin might even work.
>
> Get it red hot in a flame for a while and/or give it a thorough scrub with TCP and then drive/screw it through the cut area into the infected flesh. Once in, give it a good wiggle around and then squish/squeeze/massage any goop out. Repeat until looking a lot flatter and cleaner. Then apply a lot of TCP and a sterile dressing.

I once tried that, and seemed to spread the infection with the needle, I think?

I went to the docs and was given something to clear it up.
 cuppatea 06 Feb 2013

This is fun!

After about a week we should vote for what we think you should do.
 Cameron94 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: I think some bolt cutters and just take it off near the first knuckle, that would do the job.

What is tcp I hear you ask... Have a look at the 'uses' section-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_(antiseptic)
 ThunderCat 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

I think a photograph of the injury is in order.
 mike123 06 Feb 2013
In reply to cuppatea:
> (In reply to mkean)
>
> Encourage it to weep by soaking it in warm salty water?
>
+1
 climber david 06 Feb 2013

If your struggling to get TCP or such like into the cut, try using a small syringe to squirt the fluid in while you hold back the skin
 s.scott 06 Feb 2013
In reply to climber david:

Stuff in some magnesium sulphate, and bandage... Rinse and repeat.
 KellyKettle 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: If it's really bad, hold it open with something (or if the hole is tiny, make a small incision enlarging it just enough for access and proper drainage it), then clean thoroughly by irrigating with iodine solution (mix warm water, salt and iodine tincture)and simultaneously agitating any crud out of there with a stiff bristled toothbrush (ideally new, definitely clean), cover with an absorbent dressing and then wrap tightly...

I did this with several of the toes on my left foot whilst I was out in Africa, supplemented by a course of antibiotics (which are available freely and cheaply out there).

Of course, if I'd had the option, *I'd have found a doctor* and had them sort it...
 KellyKettle 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: Oh and a final tip on DIY medicine* if you want to find a good way to irrigate it, get a 500 ml pop bottle and use a strong sewing needle heated up to pierce a small hole in the cap... the smaller the hole, the higher the pressure you can get.

*which once again I feel I should point out is an activity of dubious merit!
OP Reach>Talent 07 Feb 2013
In reply to all:

Cheers for the 'help'. I'm currently soaking the offending digit in antiseptic having had another purge of the cottage cheese. The injury is definitely not sufficiently exciting to warrant a picture, it is an infected 7mm long cut on my little finger. If it goes properly septic and the end falls off then you lot will be the first to get pictures.
OP Reach>Talent 07 Feb 2013
I fear I have oversold it, 6mm is closer to the mark.
 1step2far 07 Feb 2013
Either:

Soak in warm salt water (Tea spoon added to pint of freshly bolied water and then allow to cool).

TCP- Stinks but good at what it does.

Hydrogen peroxide-Yes really, can be bought over the counter at the chemist and often used one diluted on infected or weeping body piercings as it dries out the exudate.

When people come through work we use 0.9% saline on pretty much everything for cleaning but if it gets any wore see GP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...