/ Bristol area climbing this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bob_the_Builder - on 06 Feb 2013
I'm going to be near Bristol for the weekend, and I might have a bit of time on my hands. Not particularly interested on going to an indoor wall, but is there any chance any small crags might be dry for some easy solos or bouldering?
deepstar - on 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: With the road still closed through Cheddar Gorge it will be nice and quiet for some roadside bouldering.Park at the top or bottom depending on where you are coming from and make a circular walk of it.
Kemics - on 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

Winterbourne Down apparently has some bouldering/easy solos with good landings. Which is in Bristol but i've never been myself. The avon gorge in the city proper does dry very fast and has a few climbs in the easy solo range. But Tbh I've always got spooked doing them as they are bit insecure and proper 'certain death' opposed to 'leg breaking' solos.
Monk - on 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Kemics:
> (In reply to Bob_the_Builder)
>
> Winterbourne Down apparently has some bouldering/easy solos with good landings.

I've not been for ages, but winterbourne and the ringroad boulders can be fairly green at the best of times (and were dripping last time I went in the autumn). I'd imagine that they are sopping, slimy messes at the moment.
Monk - on 06 Feb 2013

Avon is very quick drying, although bits do seep. There is a long traverse in New Quarry which can be fun to play on, and a few problems at Sea walls. The Toilet block at Main area is also worth playing on, but it's not what you'd call natural. There are some solo slabs at Main area too, but the cruxes on exhibition slab routes are right at the top, and I think they'd get E grades anywhere else.
Bob_the_Builder - on 07 Feb 2013

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll pack my climbing shoes and give it a wee go!
tombeasley - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: Its looking a bit wet this weekend too :-(
Steve nevers on 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to Kemics)
> [...]
the ringroad boulders can be fairly green at the best of times (and were dripping last time I went in the autumn). I'd imagine that they are sopping, slimy messes at the moment.

The ringroad boulders are sandstone as well so conditions at the moment are horrid for them. Was keen to go have a look at them later this week but its still cold and rainy in Bristol so was thinking of giving them a miss for a good few weeks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.