UKC

lakes this friday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mook456 06 Feb 2013
hi looking to head up to the lakes this friday. has anyone been around the red tarn or brown cove crags area of late and think that there may be some easy mixed routes in? thanks in advance.
 BnB 07 Feb 2013
In reply to markymark31:
> hi looking to head up to the lakes this friday. has anyone been around the red tarn or brown cove crags area of late and think that there may be some easy mixed routes in? thanks in advance.

I was in both locations yesterday. A thin layer of powdery wind slab covers much of the terrain, necessitating delicate placements. Nevertheless, successful climbs were made on three separate ridges on Browncove Crags (at grades varying from II to IV). Needless to say I did the easiest route and it was satisfying. The gullies were not in complete nick though still climbable (as a party did). Central Gully Left Branch (II) looked pretty solid if thin at the top half.

The main consideration for Friday is that I do not believe the new snow will have bonded to the snowpack by then, temperatures being consistently below freezing. On the other hand, I did not feel particularly nervous traipsing over the cornice into Red Tarn Cove as the accumulation of new snow wasn't huge. And much of the turf is frozen hard.

In short, expect a grand day out. But also expect to be wiping some wind-blown powder off your placements. HTH.
In reply to BnB: I went up bowfell first thing this morning. Tried going over the climbers traverse but it was banked out and the snow was very poor - 15cm or more of graupel, sometimes over neve. didn't fancy gullies in that and was pretty tortuous. old neve, turf and ice is good where exposed, but the recent snow is awful. could do with melting and refreezing as there's not that much old snow.
mook456 07 Feb 2013
Not looking too great then. Thanks for the replies. Mark
nidge 07 Feb 2013
In reply to markymark31: just come back from brown cove crags, it's in great nick lots of super neve, have fun
 TimhNorthBASE 07 Feb 2013
In reply to nidge: thanks, youve given me a reason to get out this weekend!
mook456 07 Feb 2013
In reply to nidge: thanks for that, appreciate the update.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...