UKC

CPR Training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bimble 07 Feb 2013
It doesn't cost much, it doesn't take long and it saves lives.

I lost a good friend yesterday because the people with him didn't know CPR. He had a heart attack and nobody he was with tried to save him whilst waiting for the ambulance, leaving him starved of oxygen. He then had another heart attack when he got to hospital, leading to organ failure, and he passed away last night.

If only those with him had known CPR, he may well still be with us. I'm more than a little big miffed that nobody there even attempted to save him.
 bluebealach 07 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: Heart felt condolences Andy but had no one seen the Vinny Jones 'Staying Alive' advert....

Very simple and must do the business if they are allowed to air it!!
 dale1968 07 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: surprised that 999 did not talk anyone through as you don't have to do any breathing only compressions
 SAF 07 Feb 2013
In reply to dale1968:
> (In reply to TryfAndy) surprised that 999 did not talk anyone through as you don't have to do any breathing only compressions

If the callers gave an accurate description/good answers to the questions asked by the ambulance call taker then they will have been talked through CPR as it is all scripted, but obviously it is still their choice of whether or not they attempt it.

I have seen some phenomanal efforts of CPR from untrained bystanders/family members being guided over the phone. We got one of them back last year in that situation (we were also very near by at the time of the call-another massive factor in most cases) and he walked out of hospital 4 or 5 days later, just a tiny bit confused by all that had happened!!!
 Neil Williams 07 Feb 2013
In reply to SAF:

I think the BBC should bring back the "999" programme - it did a massive amount for awareness on this sort of subject among the general public.

Neil
 Neil Williams 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

(as well as showing off the hard work done by our emergency services, and being an interesting programme to watch!)
 The Lemming 07 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

I am sorry to hear of your loss and offer my condolences.

As for your friend and the people around him not doing CPR, that is a tough choice to make at the best of times. Performing CPR is not a pleasant thing to do let alone observe.

Shock, fear and distress affects people in many ways when something sudden happens and not everybody is willing to attempt CPR. In fact I have only witnessed one bystander performing CPR and that was an off duty nurse in the street. As yet I do not recall anybody else performing CPR on a relative let alone let alone a stranger or work colleague.

Its a sad fact of life but not everybody wants to learn or even perform CPR.

I have no doubt that if you were with your friend that you would have done everything within your power to perform some kind of CPR. But please do not beat yourself up or hold resentment at not being there, or the fact that others were not able or willing to perform CPR. Its not an everyday occurrence and people just do not know what to do or say at the time, even if advice is given over the phone by the emergency services.

Sorry for your loss.

ice.solo 07 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

Sorry to hear this.

And youre 100% right re the CPR.
OP Bimble 07 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

I just think that if people thought about what would happen if their loved ones died in front of them because they didn't know what to do, they'd do the training. Introducing it into schools as part of PSHE may be a good start.

The Lemming 07 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

Check out ITV 1 right now.

First Aid program
 annieman 07 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: Sorry to hear of your loss.

CPR is the one session in my FA training that i don't rush. I allow my clients plenty of time to gain confidence with CPR.

Good news in Staffordshire this week, where I've been training. In Wombourne and Biddulph there are public access AED's been located in local shopping centres. The First Responder told me that they had money to install 10 in South Staffs.

If you are around in Wombourne on Saturday, go to the Library for a session on how to use AED's,led by the First Responders.

How do AED's work? Open the box, switch it on, follow the instructions. It is that easy. It won't give a shock if it is not required or the casualty won't benefit from it. It won't allow you to give a shock unless the AED has decided that it is appropriate.

More AED's, More CPR, more lives saved.
OP Bimble 08 Feb 2013
In reply to annieman:

Wombourne is just down the road from me, so may well nip in for a look if I can get out of my morning meeting early enough. I'm AED-trained already but a top-up would be nice, and the missus may well benefit from it.
 Adam Hughes 09 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: I'm really sorry for your recent loss,

2 years ago I was put in a situation where I was serving a bloke at a supermarket, I went to hand him his change and he collapsed having a heart attack, in that situation there were a lot of people around me and nobody helped, just by looking around it was clear people were in shock, I dailled 999 and started CPR, there was an employee who was first aid trained and decided not to attend as unfortunately it's not mandatory even though they receive extra pay each month for being a first aid holder, the bloke made it to hospital but later passed away.

In the approx 10 minutes I was doing CPR I can honestly say its the hardest 10 minutes of my life! But I was the one who didn't freeze and go into shock and done my upmost best in the situation I was in at the time, and would do it again,

Please remember we are all human and we all react differently, buts it's not their fault and please don't be angry at anybody, if only First Aid basics were taught in schools or a 1 day course was part of a driving licence just imagine the relief to the professionals who do their best day in day out.

I was questioned for what I did that day by my manager, and it felt like I had done wrong as I didn't have a first aid qual at the time! So I understand people being worried about this crazy country we are in.

Please don't read this as a rant but as someone who understands your thoughts at a difficult time,

Sorry for your loss.
 annieman 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: Well done Adam. The Vinny Jones advert is all about "somebody" doing "something". When you started the CPR you had no idea if it would be successful. Without the help of a lot of technology no-one does. But with your help, if there was a chance of success then you gave it to the bloke at your till. Well done for your effort.

I believe that most supermarkets now have AED's. Again that may have made a difference, may not.

Well done for trying to give that bloke a chance. Apparantley there are at least 14 people who can say that they are here with us because when they had a cardiac arrest someone who had seen the Vinny advert did something.

You don't have to be First Aid trained to do First Aid. Calling 999 is good first aid. Hands only CPR is also good First Aid.

I agree about First Aid being taught in schools. First Aid is a Life Skill that can be called upon anywhere, any time, for anyone.

Again, Well done.
 The Lemming 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

> I was questioned for what I did that day by my manager, and it felt like I had done wrong as I didn't have a first aid qual at the time!

Fek the manager, and every credit for what you did!

You gave it a go and your conscience is clear and I'm betting you sleep soundly because of this.

You are right, everybody is different irrespective of training and react differently in highly stressful/emotional situations.

On that day nobody did right or wrong and the most appropriate person stepped up to the plate to try and give some poor soul a fighting chance at life.
cragtaff 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: Good for you matey, well done! I hope there is somebody like you around if I have a cardiac arrest.

Maybe you should think twice about it if the supermarket manager has one!

Only joking.
OP Bimble 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

Top man, good on you. If there were more like you out there, my mate may well still be alive.
 foxwood 12 Feb 2013
In reply to SAF:

I did CPR training on a simple first aid course probably 20 years ago.

It involved pushing hard enough to make the dummy's breastbone click at Staying Alive speed (was counting seconds then - so much simpler to work to a well known tune) and mixing that with a shorter spell of mouth to mouth (to inflate lungs ?).

So ... is the breathing bit not recommended these days ?

If not, any idea why not - it seemed important at the time of that course ?
 jfmchivall 12 Feb 2013
In reply to foxwood:

This is the current advice - hands-only CPR unless you feel comfortable giving rescue breaths.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Accidents-and-first-aid/Pages/CPR.aspx

Adults - start chest compressions immediately, give two rescue breaths after 30 compressions.
Children - Give 5 rescue breaths before starting compressions, then repeat 30 compressions followed by two rescue breaths
Babies - As for children but use only two fingers on the chest and don't blow too hard!

I remember being taught CPR at school 20 years ago and I'm sure many schools do this nowadays.
 Adam Hughes 12 Feb 2013
In reply to annieman: AED's still arent common enough in the uk yet, and I've only worked in one place that had easy access to one, I don't know of supermarkets that have them yet, although I no longer work for a supermarket.
(I have worked at 10+ activity centres in the uk and France, and filled my cv with retail to fill the gaps so quite a few workplaces)

I do now work for an outdoor shop based in an shopping centre in London, and am still yet to see signs around the centre for an AED! Shocking!
 DNS 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

If you're interested enough it may be worth giving your local ambulance station a call. I got an AED for my head office from West Yorkshire Ambulance Service a few years ago. I also bought another, had it installed outside my office and made sure a decent number of my staff know how to use it. I don't quite sit at the desk with the pads altready applied, but you never know.
 foxwood 12 Feb 2013
In reply to jfmchivall:
> (In reply to foxwood)
>
> This is the current advice - hands-only CPR unless you feel comfortable giving rescue breaths.
> http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Accidents-and-first-aid/Pages/CPR.aspx

Thanks for that - useful link

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...