UKC

Speke's Mill Mouth - is it tidal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Motown 07 Feb 2013
Would like to get on the culm this weekend, but tides not ideal. How about this place?
 alexjz 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat: Hi it depends which routes you want to try. Let me know which ones and I can tell you. But pretty much the routes that are on the water fall are not tidal (in the UKC logbook they appear under the Spekes Mill Mouth Header), and all the others are tidal. I haven't done the waterfall routes but I saw them at xmas time and they didn't look in great condition, overgrown etc... Unfortunately most stuff on the culm is tidal.

Good luck
 alexjz 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat: an alternative could be blackchurch as the climbs on the main cliff are not tidal, though access may be if the tides are very high. SOme great routes there as well. Loose Woman E1 is great
 oscaig 07 Feb 2013
In reply to alexjz: Think you'd need to pick your day carefully for the Main Cliff over the winter. Otherwise, with it being north facing and a bit vegetated on top, it could be a rather green and greasy experience - yum!
 alan moore 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

South side of Brownspear point - Mainsail, Wager etc are accessable most tides
North side, Hotpoint etc, start a hundred feet above the sea.
Waterfall routes are way above the sea.
 oscaig 07 Feb 2013
In reply to alan moore: Slight devaiation Alan but hasn't a large chunk of the slab that formed the south side of Brownspear point collapsed taking Mainsail etc with it? Or have the routes been re-established? Haven't yet climbed there myself.
Tks

Ian
 alexjz 07 Feb 2013
In reply to oscaig: when I checked this summer, it seemed the routes zere no longer there
 alan moore 07 Feb 2013
In reply to oscaig:
Whoops!
My apology.
It has been a while....shame, I thought those routes were really good.
OP Motown 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat: Waterfall area of particular interest - how sheltered would it be?
 Owen W-G 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

If you go, post back feedback. Pressure Drop has been on the radar for a long time. Need some bottle, any beta welcome!
 Mark Kemball 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Owen W-G: Gear is quite good, but I suspect the crag will be rather damp at the moment.
 Owen W-G 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Pump fest? Bad feet?
OP Motown 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Owen W-G: Damp a bit off putting. Probably Berry Head for me.
 alexjz 08 Feb 2013
 Mark Kemball 08 Feb 2013
 Owen W-G 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thanks for the local knowledge. One more Q: what/where is the best warm up? Is there one of the tidal crags (3hs either side of H tide seems the norm) from same car park and then a stroll over to Spekes Mill when the tide comes in?
 alexjz 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Owen W-G: Screda point. 30 min walk from Screda to Spekes, quite a few routes. Onn main slab go from HVS upwards and accessible from mid tide. The outer fins have easier routes but you need a low tide for those.
 Mark Kemball 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Owen W-G: Screda is a great venue in its own right - park at Hartland Quay, then take the coast path south to Spekes when the tide dictates. Probably less stressful than trying to drive anything without a lot of clearance down to Spekes. Altrnatively there's a few routes on Brownspear itself Parallel Flow http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=47503 is enjoyable.
OP Motown 10 Feb 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...