Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Torn Meniscus: What can I expect?

rexybo - on 07 Feb 2013
Hi All,

After seeing a sports doctor today I have been told that I probably have a bucket handle meniscus tear in my right knee and have been referred to an acute knee clinic for an MRI and a surgical consult. Apparently it is likely that I am going to need surgery as I cannot fully mobilise the joint and have lost the ability to torsion my leg without it locking up.

The reason I am posting this was in the hope of finding anyone who has had the same type of injury and to see how they fared when returning to climbing. I managed to hurt myself while doing a really deep drop knee, so it was a twisting force that did the damage rather than rocking over or heel hooking. The injury is a few weeks old now and the knee is still not able to cope with any form of loading when it is bent/ twisted.

I know a forum is not the place to ask for advice, but I would just like to hear if other climbers that have torn their meniscus (and had to have surgery) have made a full recovery?

Any input would be very gratefully received!
Sam
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums