UKC

Chew / Longdendale Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 07 Feb 2013
Has anybody been for a look at conditions in any of the gullies this week?
 Mike_d78 07 Feb 2013
In reply to cragtyke:

I would be surprised, happily so. I do not think it has been that cold and the snow is looking a but thin.

As I say happy to be proved wrong be anyone, who hass been up and about.

Regards
 Iain Thow 08 Feb 2013
In reply to cragtyke: FWIW North side of Kinder had quite a bit of excellent hard snow yesterday and good ice in quite a few of the streams. Got a good 500m of Grade I/Grade II out of the various cloughs. Still water running behind the ice in the main streams so I guess that will be true in Wilboar/Shining Cloughs but the smaller gullies might be worth a look.
OP cragtyke 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Iain Thow: Thanks Iain, that's pretty much what i expected,but didn't want to hear. Might go for a wander tomorrow anyway.
 Iain Thow 09 Feb 2013
In reply to cragtyke: Have fun, there was about an inch of new snow at 400m at Rushop this morning, with still plenty of old stuff about. Mam Tor Gully is looking like a fun way home (Winnats ridges are all snow free)
In reply to cragtyke:
Drove over Woodhead on thursday and there's still a lot of big snow banks around. Seepy ice will be forming but it hasn't really been cold enough for bigger flowing streams to form.

NMM
 Simon Caldwell 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Iain Thow:
> Got a good 500m of Grade I/Grade II out of the various cloughs

I guess it was fairly mild yesterday - we went for a play in one of the streams (Nether Red Brook) and other than 2 short steps at the top, there was no ice left. Good fun day out though
 steveshaking 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Toreador: I looked at Wildboar, some ice around but not touching down and not in the centre of the flow, just a stream flowing.... Even going over Holme Moss temps barely got down to zero today.
 Iain Thow 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Toreador: Yes it's been pretty mild the last 2 days, although we've got plenty of snow cover in Castleton and lots of drifting higher up. Mam Tor Gully on saturday night had some good old hard snow but the grot wasn't frozen properly and it was thawing heavily - would have been good in the morning. Winnats ridges are well snow spattered this morning but the turf isn't frozen so the south side routes aren't a good idea (especially as the mosses are one of the reasons for the SSSI designation!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...