UKC

Training Tips Following Knee Surgery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marmoset 08 Feb 2013
I'm due to have an arthroscopy in 2 weeks time & am scared of losing my upper body strength while my knee is out of action. Does anyone have any training tips for after I'm able to use my knee again.

If anyone has gone through this, I'd be grateful for some advice.

Thanks.
 DDDD 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Marmoset:
I`m not sure you should take this as advice but I was campusing two days after mine so fingerboarding/pullups could be OK during recovery. I don`t remember having to wait too long before climbing again although I can remember being tentative.
 pabbage 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Marmoset: Depends on what you're having done as a result of the procedure... some people walk out of the hospital, I was on crutches for six weeks. I'd imagine there would be negligible 'strength' loss in a month.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Marmoset:
Have they given you an estimate for how long you'll be out of action?
I did my first (tentative) hill walk 2 weeks after my op, and was winter climbing 3 weeks after that.
I never had much upper body strength to lose, but my leg strength didn't really suffer. Just make sure you ditch the crutches as soon as the surgeon says you can (I was lucky and never needed any).
OP Marmoset 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Toreador: They haven't given me an estimate .as to how long I'll be out of action,but I'm hoping it won't be too long. Been having some mental strength issues on gritstone so I hope I' out climbing again sooner rather than later if I can find a patient lead to go with that is..

I do have exo bands finger boards weights and a TRX trainer at my disposal so I hope they can do the trick while a
I'm recovering.

Many thanks for the advice.

Dawn
 WILLS 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Marmoset: I went on the finger board the day after mine. Just keep your leg from being weighted. I pointed mine out in front of me.
You'll have loads of Physio to do on your leg anyway. But I would advise you to get your legs really strong before going back to the climbing wall. After my first op I went back to indoor stuff after 6 weeks. 3 months later I had another op. you feel it move differently. Second time I waited 10 weeks and took it nice and easy on the grades for 4 weeks. Still doing the strength training on the knee.
Here is a blog I did during rehab see if it helps.
http://climbingkneerehab.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1
Patience is the key though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...