UKC

I hate long walk ins...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scon 08 Feb 2013
I hate long walk ins....

So I know there are plenty of topics on Lakes conditions but this is slightly more specific.

I'm looking for roadside (or short approach) water ice. I'm thinking Hause waterfall (Buttermere), Launchy Ghyll or Tebay Icefalls. Any info on these comparatively low level destinations would be welcome.
 French Erick 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon:
then winter climbing is 80% of the time not the sport for you...in the UK. Move to the continent it might provide more opportunities!
The only problem with roadside here is that conditions are rare; in Scotland anyways. I don't know about Englandshire as I have never winter climbed there.
 Exile 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon:

Good luck with those choices at the moment...
 GridNorth 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon: Rjukan is the place for you.
 Tom the tall 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon: No to all of those, lots of fun to be had on the usual high crags at the minute though. What's a long walk in, car to crag at red tarn, brown cove and great end all <1 hour.
In reply to scon:

There are no long walk-ins in the Lakes with the possible exception of Pillar.

ALC
 Steve Perry 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon: Iceland - Kendal, Barrow - in - Furness and Workington
 andybrown114 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon: Shoulthwaite Gill is close to the road. Entertaining little grade V, particularly if it is falling down as it was when I did it!
 pork pie girl 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon: the long walk ins are a massive part of what makes winter climbing a really good day out.

whay don't you just getter fitter so the walk ins aren't as much of an issue?
 pork pie girl 08 Feb 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: agree
 d_b 08 Feb 2013
In reply to pork pie girl:

Agreed. Starting and finishing in the dark, walking in with a big pack and adverse weather are part of the charm.
 GridNorth 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon: It's not always a fitness issue. Walk-ins can be boring and just delay getting on with the technical climbing. And you cannot make sweeping declarations. As I get older I am beginning to find that long walk-ins do take their toll. They have never really bothered me before but this year at the age of 64 I have realised that I cannot just roll up and get on with it. If I wish to continue I am going to have to put in some additional effort beforehand by running and biking etc.
 paco nacho 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon: Indoor Ice in Manchester and Ice Factor Glecoe (ish)
OP scon 08 Feb 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Yeah, Rjukan is on my bucket list
OP scon 08 Feb 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Fitness is certainly an issue and I should really work on it. Guess I'll just have to 'man-up' and get on with it. If any low level ice forms and you know about it please let me know. Thanks All.
 Jonny2vests 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon:

Utah is the place for you.
 d_b 08 Feb 2013
In reply to scon:

Sensible answe: Closest thing I know to roadside ice forms up in the beacons. They seem to be coming in once or twice a year a the moment, but never stay in nick for more than a day or two so you have to be prepared to drop everything at short notice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...