UKC

Best online ski shop in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimberEd 08 Feb 2013
I'm after some new front clips for my skins.
Anyone have any good shop suggestions?

Thanks.
Shearwater 08 Feb 2013
BackcountryUK are good. They've got an actual real life shop as well though, so maybe they don't count
OP ClimberEd 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Shearwater: Ha, real life shop is also very good.

Thank you!
Bonito 08 Feb 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:
> I'm after some new front clips for my skins.
> Anyone have any good shop suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

I know Braemar Mountain Sports have a big box of skin spares in their basement. I got to rummage in it recently. Probably better to phone them. 01339 741242
 FATBOYFAT 11 Feb 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:
I've had good experiences with both Facewest and Freeze Pro Shop
 inboard 12 Feb 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:
Braemar Mountain Sports and Facewest both great service.
paraffin 12 Feb 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:

Not strictly UK -http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/

But run by a UK couple.
You can get Voile gear etc. which is not available in the UK.

DHL delivery is amazingly efficient and prices worth a look.

Davie
macinboots 12 Feb 2013
In reply to parafinn: Do i take it from your comment that you use voile bindings, if so which ones and how are they in comparison to other makes you have tried?
paraffin 13 Feb 2013
In reply to macinboots:
> (In reply to parafinn) Do i take it from your comment that you use voile bindings, if so which ones and how are they in comparison to other makes you have tried?
Yes
Voile Switchbacks X2's 2012 /13, red cartridges - for 75 mm Norm boots. Stainless steel construction, new longer toe box, simple switch from ski to tour free pivot. Very precise binding and no slop. Not tried HH's etc. and I do not feel the need to. Only thing that has left me guessing is which crampon to attach? I really like the G3 Targa Ascent crampons which lift with your foot, meaning no drag.

Previous binding was G3 Targa Ascent - a good free pivot binding from 4/5 yrs ago, with excellent crampon system - but bindings are very sloppy - esp on a +90 mm ski and small boot like an old T2. To drive this set up needs a 4 clip boot.

All my old Rottefella Chili binding cables wore out - upgraded to solid rods from Telemark Pyrennes - great solid set up for zipping around the piste.

All my Riva cable bindings - due to lack of toe bails and toe twisting out are now regulated to the bottom of the league.

Snow down to valley today - it might be time to get out on the 3 pinners and leathers for a shuffle along the forestry roads.

Davie

macinboots 13 Feb 2013
In reply to parafinn: hmm was thinking of switchbacks or axl, just dont feel ntn is right for me at the mo. Was looking at the axl crampon, would be interesting to see if they would fit as voile crampons would drag massively. I assume you are on a four buckle boot. What size ski do you have with the switchbacks?
did you get out on the three pins today? I did on mine but with T2s as my leathers are in the loft.
 medomjones 14 Feb 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:

www.sportpalette.com extreemly cheap kit from germany, instant delivery, i saved 300quid on the equivalent K2 FREERIDE SKIS And bindings.

paraffin 14 Feb 2013
In reply to macinboots:

The Axl have had bad reports due to slack developing in the pivot. The Axl I believe is about to be superseded.(More info. on Telemarktips.com).

My current skis are a rare beast - Rossi Bandit B94 Respect 178 cm. Very little sidecut, which make them good for long tours and keeping speed up long flat schushes & keeping height on traverses. I have never seen any other ski do this so well. Draw back is there can be a battle of wills when you want to scrub the speed off. Boots are Garmont Energ - very very good too.

What is your rig?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...