UKC

Zappa

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi Folks,

I have a big hole in my music collection (well towards the back) that is Frank Zappa. The trouble is I've heard plenty in the past, but only really know Sheik Yerbouti and Baby Snakes. Having had a quick look at his discography on Wikipedia I realised that there's quite a lot of material out there to chose from - to say the least.

So, does anyone one have any recommendations as to the "classic" or "must have" albums?

Cheers.
In reply to Hugh J: Hot rats and Joe's Garage showcase the two ends of his musical styles nicely. Well, the more popular styles at least. The Yellow Shark is a challenging, but rewarding, listen from his later years though much different from his other stuff.

T.
 John2 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J: Hot Rats. Not typical, but great.
 coinneach 08 Feb 2013
In reply to John2:

You Are What You Is
 coinneach 08 Feb 2013
In reply to coinneach:

Or Apostrophe

or The Mothers Live at The Fillmore for the BEST version of The Turtles "Happy Together"
In reply to Hugh J: Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, Apostrophe, Waka Jawaka and One size fits all were my favourites
 Co1in H 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J: My first FZ album was Live at Filmore East(?) and still my favourite. Joes Garage, We're only in it for the Money (Hi boys and girls, I'm Jimmy carl Black and Im the Indian of the group) is essential.
for us die hard Zappa fans it's difficult to leave anything out and don't forget he was an outstanding technical guitarist as well.
In reply to Hugh J: Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looking forward to rectifiying the omission!
In reply to Hugh J:

My advice, get yourself a lovely pot of magic mushroom tea, lock yourself away and watch 200 motels.

I did this very thing in my younger days and man, that was trippy.
 blurty 08 Feb 2013
In reply to coinneach:
> (In reply to coinneach)
>
> Or Apostrophe
>
>and over-nite sensation

Removed User 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J: No collection is complete without "ship arriving to late to save a drowning witch".
"Broadway the hard way" is very funny too.
 Hairy Pete 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J: Another vote for Joe's Garage and also Jazz From Hell.
In reply to Hugh J:
Hot Rats, Chungas Revenge, 200 Motels for starters.....
In reply to Hugh J:
'Overnight Sensation' - my favourite album of all time.
In reply to I like climbing:
As for the Mothers, Absolutely Free is a killer.

Great suggestions from everyone here!
ice.solo 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J:

Were only in it for the money.

Anotherfor yellow shark
 fatbuoybazza 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J:

Try the 'You can't do that on stage anymore' albums,
all double discs and a good varied mix of Zappa styles
and tunes..
 fried 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J:

Fot the full sweep.

Absolutely free - Mothers -1967
Weasels ripped my flesh - Zappa -1970
Over-nite sensation - Zappa -1973
Sheik Yerbouti - Zappa -1979
Jazz from hell - Zappa -1986

Take you from the hippy(ish) period to the early experimental, onto the 'humoristic' period and then the Jazz. I do have a soft spot for Bongo Fury though. All of the above you could interchange with 1 or 2 others.
ice.solo 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J:

And if after all that youre still unsatiated theres always the good captain beefheart.
 DerwentDiluted 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J:

I dabbled with Zappa ages ago and the only album I ever listen to now is 'The Best Band You Never Heard in Your life' a double live album from about 1990. Doubtless I'll get derided by the Mothers fans but its pretty accessible.
In reply to ice.solo:
Trout Mask Replica is my favourite .....Probably yours too ?
In reply to Hugh J:
Actually if you want something really great check out Zappa Radio. Streams everything, live shows, studio - very cool
Removed User 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J:

I'll restrict myself to 10.

Freak out
Absolutely free
We're only in it for the money/Lumpy gravy
Uncle Meat
The Grand Wazoo
One size fits all
Bongo Fury
You can't do that on stage any more Vol.2 (The Helsinki Concert, imho the best live album ever)
Ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch
Them or us
 Simon 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Hugh J:

'Overnight Sensation' - is the easiest favorite album to get into for Zappa virgins.

Build from there - he was and still is a legend & is a must in anyones collection...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...