/ Harvey map references - same as OS?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iksander on 09 Feb 2013
Dumb questeion - do they use the same system?
Jim Lancs - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander: Yes.
Ridge - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander:

Erm..yes ;-)

The 1:40k scale might make getting the last diguts right a bit trickier though.
DerwentDiluted - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander:

No, I had an incident on Kinder at a fixed point and was using a Harveys map, this placed the location on the west of the grid line so grid ref ended in 99, I was derided for poor map skills as the OS maps showed the same fixed point as East of the Grid line and so ended in 01. Not a massive descrepancy but interesting. Not got either map to hand so can't verify exactly where it was.
Glyno - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

That's very interesting.
My money's on OS map being correct.
Stuart (aka brt) - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander:

They use the same grid system but sometimes there are discrepancies about the location of certain features (as noted above).
Welsh Kate - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno:
I wouldn't put money on OS being correct; there are quite a few areas in the Brecon Beacons that clearly suffered from 'Friday afternoon' surveyors, eg: cairns that are marked about 100m from where they actually are; and some significant features on Llangynidr (clear footpath, decent sized cairns, big shakeholes) that are on Harvey's but not on OS - and should be.
Simon Caldwell - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> My money's on OS map being correct.

I'd go the other way, Harveys maps are made by outdoor folk more interested in the accurate placing of such things than the OS.

Did a walk in the Dales the other week, the OS and Harveys had the summit of a particular hill on different sides of a wall, about 50m apart, Harveys was correct.

Anyway, that's irrelevant to the original question, which was about the grid system, not about accuracy - the answer as most have ssaid is that the grid is the same (there's an acknowledgement to this effect on Harvey maps, as the OS have copyright on the grid.
iksander on 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Toreador: thanks, I see it on the map now: "The National Grid is taken from the Ordance Survey"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.