/ Fresh install windows 7

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Siward on 09 Feb 2013
Here's the thing.

I have windows vista installed on a hard drive on my desktop.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to boot and the hard drive containing windows has been relegated to a second drive, the replacement primary drive is now running ubuntu.

I don't trust the old hard drive. I think it is on its way out and I wouldn't want to install anything new on it.

If I buy a new solid state drive, can I purchase an upgrade to windows 7 and install it on that, rather than have to buy a more expensive non upgrade version? How? Don't upgrades usually rely on an old version of windows being on the drive?

It's confusing all this is...
The Lemming - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

Personally, I'd go for a fresh install of an OS rather than upgrading an older OS like Vista to Win 7.

I have no technical experience or reasons beyond my gut feeling that a fresh install will have lest potential future bugs.

A SSD and Win7 is awesome and well worth the expense of a SSD drive for the speed advantage.

Do you have access to a Windows 7 DVD?
Siward on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: no CD available, hence the question.

I seem to recall something about possession of a licence key allowing one to pay the cheaper upgrade price, rather than having to shell out for a fresh copy?
The Lemming - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

You have mail.
lost1977 - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

win7 on an SSD is fast (i like)
Alan Taylor - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward: What he said ^^^
ads.ukclimbing.com
Ciro - on 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Siward:

You should be able to buy the SSD, re-install Vista, and then buy and install the upgrade - just watch out for product activation though. I finally gave up on windows when I tried to re-install vista, but because I'd upgraded the CPU at the same time as replacing the faulty hard drive it wouldn't accept the license key, and MS refused to supply a new one.

They made sure I wouldn't be buying another license off them - turns out Kubuntu's much better anyway. :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.