UKC

London Climbing Walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all,

I imagine this has been asked a thousand times but I can't for the life of me find the result from the search function.

What's the best wall in London for teaching a beginner? Plenty of bouldering and top roping... inspiring facility not a dark dusty hell hole...

Any advice?
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:
The Castle.
In reply to I like climbing:

Thanks. Is The Arch any good?
 Mike Highbury 11 Feb 2013
> (In reply to I like climbing)
>
> Thanks. Is The Arch any good?

So good they shut it down
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Haha! I thought it had reopened... according to my stealth googling at work...
 nniff 11 Feb 2013

Heading out of London a bit, but comfortably inside the M25 - White Spider
 Mike Highbury 11 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Mike Highbury)
>
> Haha! I thought it had reopened... according to my stealth googling at work...

Now at the Biscuit Factory, Bermondsey

This is obvious but the best place is where you already have a membership / period pass

Ramblin dave 11 Feb 2013
The Biscuit Factory is really nice, but it's bouldering only.

OP: Mile End, the Castle and the Westway are all fine, go with whichever of those is most convenient for you.

True! But I rarely climb any more so I'm not signed up anywhere. My girlfriend's a bit low at the moment and I want to take her somewhere to cheer her up ... she's never climbed before... so was wondering which place would be best!
In reply to nniff:

Thanks! But really it needs to be somewhere I can go when I finish work at 7:30...
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Brilliant, thanks Dave.
 Slarti B 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
>
> OP: Mile End, the Castle and the Westway are all fine, go with whichever of those is most convenient for you.

If you are in South East London The Reach is worth checking. Not the easiest to get to but far less crowded than Castle and Westway. Lots of long, varied climbs of all grades.
 edunn 11 Feb 2013

The Castle is the best. Loads of routes to choose from, easily accessible from the tube, decent crowd, and a good cafe (just in case your girlfriend needs extra cheering up with a big slice of chocalte brownie!).

In reply to edunn:
> (In reply to A Longleat Boulderer)
>
> (just in case your girlfriend needs extra cheering up with a big slice of chocalte brownie!).
>
>

That should do the trick! Brownie, a few grade 4's and a load of friendly climbers... job done! Wish me luck!

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.
 Ali 11 Feb 2013
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer: Reach has the best cafe of all the walls I've been to and more beginner friendly that the Castle, as there are a good number of slabby and vertical top ropes. Seem to remember the Westway all beiong vertical, and the Castle is busy and routes are close together. But agree that it depends on where is most convenient for you!
In reply to Ali:

I currently live in Streatham Hill, and her in Muswell Hill... so pretty much everywhere is doable. However the Castle seems like the best location since I can easily get to Balham and she can catch bus from Finsbury Park...

Thanks for the input! I'll try to make it fun enough so she wants to go again... then we can try different places!
as646 13 Feb 2013
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer: The Castle is a major trek from Balham. I live in Camberwell, and I very rarely go there save for perhaps on a weekend due to the fact that it takes almost an hour and a half either way! May be better to go to one of the more centrally located walls.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...