UKC

Wicking underwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 11 Feb 2013
** This is a genuine post even though it might sound like a wind up - I genuinely am OCD about my pants! **

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm a huge fan of the Lowe Alpine 'dry flo' wicking pants. Since they were discontinued I've been trying to find an alternative to these.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I tried Paramo but the material is super thin and the fit isn't as good kind of loose. Tried Under Armour, again the material was very very thin and they don't have proper 'legs' so they have very poor ...um... containment shall we say. Tried Devold merino underwear, but since then have eliminated merio as a suitable material, it doesn't last long at all. I've ordered some Helly Hansen pants to try out but they've not arrive yet.

I'm looking for something that contains everything. I want the fabric to not be flimsy like most of the wicking underwear out there. I don't want huge leg lengths either.

Why did Lowe Alpine stop making these damn it!
 TobyA 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: The Decathlon running trunks (i.e. stretchy boxers) or outside trunks - I've got one pair of each, very similar and seem to work fine. Having said that I prefer the merino boxers I have, icebreaker I think, twice the price but are lasting really well and with all the anti-repungnantness of merino when wearing them for multi-days.
 Michael Ryan 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Richard Carter:

Lowe-Alpine are just launching their new apparel range.

There are lots of great synthetic base layers out there, some that don't smell as well.

I also have merino base layers and despite lots of use and hot washes they are still going strong.
DoverPiker 11 Feb 2013
I have a couple of pairs of merino smartwool boxers which I find work well, until I got soaked through in them (from rain!) then they gave me a rash allover tops of me legs. But they have worked well when I have walked in hot climates.

Got two pairs of Arcteryx boxers in the Outside sale for winter this year, very well cut, supportive and wicked well.

DP
 greg_may_ 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH:

Merino boxers here, used to have HH ones and loved them.

Also have some old Patagonia ones that I would kill for a few more pairs of, but they are no longer made. Tempted by the RAB MeCo ones to see if they carry the mix of lack of smells from Merino and coconut for....erm...taste?

How disappointing. I thought that was wicked underwear for a moment
 steelbru 11 Feb 2013
I like the ExOfficio stuff - range of briefs and boxers http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=57K8
Clauso 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
>
> How disappointing. I thought that was wicked underwear for a moment

It could be worse Gordon; it might have been wicker underwear.
 gear boy 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: Patagonia do different weights of trunk boxers which are good, but my main stay is M&S "autograph" trunks made of "microskin"

HTH
 winhill 11 Feb 2013

have you tried venting?
In reply to Richard Carter: Cheap decathlon swimming trunks are ideal for winter. (Speedo-esque) save yourself £15+
In reply to Iain Thow:

Wowzers that's great news!

I shall bide my time, hopefully they'll be good, then I can buy a truckload of them.
 thedatastream 11 Feb 2013
I've been giving some Rab MeCo boxers a run out this weekend and I'm impressed. Didn't get too sweaty and they were very comfy.

Definitely going to get another pair at some point: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/rab_meco_120_boxer.html
 iksander 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: As any granny will tell you, M&S do bomb proof pants. I can recommend their "Sport Base Layer" range in 3 styles from briefs to cycle shorts type things. They work, are comfy, durable and affordable.
In reply to gear boy:

> but my main stay is M&S "autograph" trunks made of "microskin"

Ditto. Used for day to day and active use. I use the 'hipsters', rather than the trunks.
 mrchewy 11 Feb 2013
In reply to captain paranoia: Hipster microskins here too - M&S have it sorted.
 Sam_in_Leeds 11 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander

Those longer "sport base layer ones" are awesome.

As a slightly larger chap (36" waist) I find them awesome to keep the old chaffing at bay when sweating my lardy arse off.
 JJL 11 Feb 2013

Wicking underwear.

Does it suck it off?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...