UKC

Taking chalk to New Zealand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ali 11 Feb 2013
I'm off on a non-climbing trip to NZ, but going to pop my shoes in just in case. Was thinking of taking a wee bit of chalk in a plastic bag as well, but is this a bad idea in terms of getting through immigration etc?
 Rampikino 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ali:

Didn't have an issue when I took it in hold luggage.
 AdrianC 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ali: Never had any problems with it and I've been in and out of NZ lots of times. Just make sure shoes & boots are clean!
OP Ali 11 Feb 2013
In reply to AdrianC: Super - I have cleaned all shoes! Did you declare that you had chalk or just not mention it?
 Rampikino 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ali:

In my case, never mentioned it. They have kit to test anything suspicous for drugs and in the worst case - ie. you get stopped, it would soon draw a blank.

Chalk isn't prohibited.
 AdrianC 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ali: I've never even thought of mentioning it! It's pretty harmless unless you eat a lot of it. They are mostly interested in any food you may have with you.
 peachos 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ali:

Divide it up into small plastic ziplock bags of say 2g and hide it about your self. You'll be fine.
needvert 11 Feb 2013
In reply to peachos:

Or if you don't have any ziplock bags handy, tie off condoms.
 BoulderyDave 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ali: You could just buy a new bag and take it unopened or ingested condoms as per above - if you get caught, wait for them to come out, chalk up and escape over the wall.
 Jackwd 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Rampikino: After the cavity search....
 Oo 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ali:
The kiwis are rightly worried about things coming into contaminate the ecosystem, but their main concern is over little critters and plants that can reproduce and take over the place. Given your chalk's inability to reproduce, a small bag can't have a devastating effect on the ecosystem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...