/ Best trousers for scottish winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alexm198 - on 11 Feb 2013
So, being a complete numpty, I've managed to shred my pair of Marmot Precip pants with my front-points this season.

Ordinarily, I wear powerstretch pants, a thin softshell layer and then overtrousers on top, but having knackered the waterproofs, I'm looking to upgrade to something a bit more substantial - can I get some recommendations on salopettes (preferably with braces and those helpful reinforced ankle patches...)?
In reply to alexm198: I'm selling a godo pair of winter trousers, in excellent condition, on this link:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=536558&v=1#x7200388
Caralynh - on 11 Feb 2013
In reply to alexm198:

I use Patagonia winter guide (previously Mixmasters) when it's very cold, no waterproof over the top.
Steve Perry - on 11 Feb 2013
coolhand - on 11 Feb 2013
In reply to alexm198:
Anything, as long as they come in brown.
MtnGeekUK - on 11 Feb 2013
In reply to alexm198:

Have a pair of Patagonia Alpine Guide pants if you're interested?
steveshaking - on 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: I have recently got these too. If the weather is cold and not too windy or wet then I would say soft shell with long johns is fine. But if its damp or potentially wet I hate the over trouser thing, so the paramo aspiras are better - giving a reasonable level of protection and warmth without any other layers under or over. They have removeable foam knees too - I am forever banging my knees on ice so I like that.
ads.ukclimbing.com
captain paranoia - on 11 Feb 2013
In reply to alexm198:

Of course, depending on how shredded, the waterproofs could be repaired:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/hill-skills/how-to-repair-torn-waterproofs/6509.html

If not, then the Decathlon Simond mountaineering pants are regularly discussed on these sort of threads... Soft shell trousers. Not strictly salopettes, but pretty close. 40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.