Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Buying a 4x4 that is cheap, easily fixable and spacious

Calum Nicoll - on 11 Feb 2013
Five or six of us are going to drive over to central asia (Tajikistan) this summer, we're looking to buy a vehicle but aren't sure what's the best option.

There will be a substantial amount of motorway/good road driving going through europe, then some poor quality sand/dirt intersperced with good roads, some moderate river fording, and some higher altitude rock/scree driving, up to about 4500-5000m max. There will be lots of potholes.

We've looked into it a bit, and gather that high ground clearance is important. We're aware that the cheap car we buy will probably break a bit, but it would be nice if we could fix this ourselves/with local help (which will not be massively sophisticated), so it would be good if it did not rely on massively complex electronics.

Budget is 5k, and ideally much less i.e 2k.

So far, we've got ideas such as LWB land rovers defenders, nissan navara/pathfinder, toyotal landcruisers, but all advice is welcome.
... not showing 23 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums