UKC

Boot widths

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 12 Feb 2013
My bargain B3 boots died last week at Glenmore lodge, (so not so much of a bargain then!) but buying them in the south west will be somewhat difficult with a limited choice.

Whilst at the lodge I was loaned an oldish pair of Scarpa Vegas which are a damn sight wider feeling than the lovely red Omegas. I know I need wide shoes for my flat pasty feet. I don't want to keep driving miles to try on a single pair of boots or send tonnes back via the post so what boots are wide fitting so I have a starting point?

I want them to be proper warm since I get cold toes sitting in the office! So I was thinking about boots with built in gaiters too.

Cost isn't too much of an issue up to about £350ish, eg I'd rather pay a bit extra for something worth it which will last and be warm instead of a cheap option which freezes me needing yet another pair of boots.

I currently have so Asolo B2s which fit nicely if that's any help.
Removed User 12 Feb 2013
In reply to fire_munki: what size?
OP fire_munki 12 Feb 2013
In reply to fire_munki:
in thick socks uk9, normally have thin inner soles. instead off fsctory fit ones to reduce pronation too.
 Nathan Adam 12 Feb 2013
In reply to fire_munki: I have wide-ish feet and the Sporitva Nepal Evo fits me nice without the tongue insert and an extra sole in, although it'd be best to buy a custom insole as the one they come with is paper thin. Good climbing performance and they are decently warm (don't tighten them massively at the toes).

Go into Ellis Brigham and ask for a discount as you can't afford RRP (even if you can) and they'll knock something off it. Got mine for £280 down from £360.
OP fire_munki 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Nath93:
I should also say if suggesting places I live in Plymouth, so quite a long way from the mountains! 12 1/2 hour journey home last Saturday!
 Nathan Adam 13 Feb 2013
In reply to fire_munki: Do they not have a climbing shop in Plymouth (or near by) you could go and try some boots on ? Or next time you are heading North, stop in the Lakes and try a few pair on and see how you get on that way.
OP fire_munki 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Nath93:
Rock bots yes, a good selction of winter boots no. There's a Cotswolds and Go Outdoors and that's it really.
Shame we are so far from mountains.
 Nathan Adam 13 Feb 2013
In reply to fire_munki: Shame, i'd hold onto your cash until next time you are heading north. If you make a summer trip then you'll probably catch the winter gear on sale too !
 nufkin 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to fire_munki) I have wide-ish feet and the Sporitva Nepal Evo fits me nice without the tongue insert and an extra sole in, although it'd be best to buy a custom insole as the one they come with is paper thin. Good climbing performance and they are decently warm (don't tighten them massively at the toes).
>
> Go into Ellis Brigham and ask for a discount as you can't afford RRP (even if you can) and they'll knock something off it. Got mine for £280 down from £360.

Wow, I always understood that Ellis Brigham never give money off anything, ever.

Urban Rock do the Nepal Evo pretty cheaply, though they're in London so that might not help much.

I've had a good fit with the Scarpa Phantom Guides, which seem fairly available, though they might be a bit above your budget
 Nathan Adam 13 Feb 2013
In reply to nufkin: I was of that impression too, until I told the guy i would probably have to buy them online second hand as they were too expensive at RRP, then told me he could do a discount. They do student discounts too.

Maybe he was just a decent bloke trying to help a lad out but i'm sure most staff who are climbers etc would be pretty similar.
 adamr 13 Feb 2013
get yourself to cotswold and ask for a boot fit,all they'll do is take your size etc. and order a load of stock in for you to try. their boot fitting is really very good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...