UKC

Easy winter ridge recommendations (Grade I or lower)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 12 Feb 2013
At the weekend there I did the horseshoe of Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor. There was a really enjoyable bit of ridge between Ben Starav and Stob Coire Dheirg, and I was surprised to see afterwards that it's in the logbooks as Grade 1.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=185546

It wouldn't surprise me if it was low in the grade, but regardless I really enjoyed it and didn't have much difficulty with it, I just wished it went on for longer! So, my reason for this post is just to get some recommendations for similar outings; hard walks or easy grade 1 ridges that require a bit of hands on action and give you some exposure, but normally wouldn't require any more gear than crampons and one axe.*

There are a few that I have done in summer that I imagine would be suggested so I already have these in mind; Tarmachan Ridge, Fiacaill Ridge, Ballachulish Horseshoe, CMD Arete (I'm thinking the CMD could be a step above the others though, if for nothing else than the length). So basically, any recommendations for 'winter scrambling' ridges welcome, whether they be Munro trade routes, easy graded climbs, or some esoteric arete you've stumbled across I'd like to hear about them.

Cheers

*With the usual understanding that what can be powdered up rock one day can be a verglas coated nightmare the next.
 kbow265 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig: Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean, next to the Ring of Steall, great views to Ben Nevis and the Aonach Eagach and a fairly easy ridge.
 kwoods 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig: The Ballachuilsh traverse is nice. Only rocky bit is by the summit of Sgorr Dhearg but I found that a lot of fun the twice I've done it. I/Easy I in the logbooks.
OP Taurig 12 Feb 2013
In reply to florence58:

Stob Ban is one I'd like to climb, I think it looks Himalayan under snow! Do you mean head up the North ridge of Stob Ban, as in the logbook?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=47791
 Mark Bull 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig:

Ring of Steall
North ridge of Stob Ban (the Mamores one)
Round of Coire Gaothach, Ben Lui
Long and/or Short Leacas, Ben Alder
NE ridge of Angels Peak
Ledge Route, Ben Nevis (bit on the hard side unless conditions are good and you take the easiest line)
Stob Coire na Ceannain to Stob Coire Claurigh (rest of the Grey Corries ridge is just a walk, despite how it looks on the map).
S Ridge of Mullach Fraoch-choire
N ridge of Aonach Air Chrithe

Tarmachan ridge is just a walk apart from the (avoidable) slabby bit of path W of Meall Garbh.
Fiacaill ridge is anywhere from a walk to Grade II depending on the line.
Ballachulish Horseshoe: scrambling on the ENE ridge of Sgorr Bhan, rest is walking.

Nathan Adam 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig: NW Ridge of Bruach na Frithe and NE Ridge of Sgurr a Basteir are good ones in the Cuillin if you decide to head here before winter is out.

Bruach na Frithe is easy enough to walk off as is Sgurr a Basteir by the same descent, and you get great views of Pinnacle Ridge in the process.
 AlisonSmiles 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

Stop it. My bucket list is already quite long enough thank you.
Removed User 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Nath93:Nice one.Im heading up there soon.Have you any other easy Cuillin suggestions?
 Mark Bull 12 Feb 2013
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

> Stop it. My bucket list is already quite long enough thank you.

In which case, on no account purchase this: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/469/title/scotland-s-moun...
OP Taurig 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks Mark, that's more than I can likely get through this winter. I think in particular the North ridge of Stob Ban could be the one to go for first. From the photos I've found it looks a little harder than Ben Starav, but not hugely so, would you agree? As much as I would love to get up to Glen Shiel and Skye, finding a mate that is willing to spend that much time and petrol money could be tricky, but Stob Ban isn't too far from the Central Belt.

Re: Tarmachan Ridge, having done most of it in summer (was with the gf, she didn't fancy the 'bad step' so we headed back) I'd agree the difficulties would be short lived, but I think it'd still be worthwhile. I'd also agree the Fiacaill is a definite step up, if it was coated in ice I wouldn't touch it without a rope.

Nathan Adam 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed Usercraig123: Not one i have done yet but, Great Gully on Blaven is supposed to be really good.
Removed User 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Nath93: thanks!
 Flinticus 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed Usercraig123:
Not the Black Cullin but Belig & Garbh-Bheinn horseshoe. Fantastic viewpoint. (did it today). Add Marsco if you wish.
 IainMacG 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig:
The other Aonach Eagach - Stob Ghabhar might fit the bill and much closer!
See Walk Highlands: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/stob-ghabhar.shtml
As it says not a patch on the well known one, but a nice route and a good intro winter ridge with short lived difficulties...

Cheers
Iain
 Mark Bull 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig:

> Thanks Mark, that's more than I can likely get through this winter. I think in particular the North ridge of Stob Ban could be the one to go for first. From the photos I've found it looks a little harder than Ben Starav, but not hugely so, would you agree?

Yes, I think that's fair.

> Re: Tarmachan Ridge, having done most of it in summer (was with the gf, she didn't fancy the 'bad step' so we headed back) I'd agree the difficulties would be short lived, but I think it'd still be worthwhile.

Very worthwhile: it's a great winter walk. The 'bad step' is easily avoidable to the north (left, looking up) if necessary.

Some other routes worth doing in the Southern Highlands which involve some easy Grade I territory but are not proper ridges:

North buttress on Stuc a'Chroin
North side of An Stuc
NE side of Cruach Ardrain
North spur of Beinn Achaladair

Nick_Scots 12 Feb 2013
In Winter -

Beinn a'Chreachain - has a nice narrowing ridge, right to the summit. This peak is a long way in from the grey Road Bridge below the Rannoch Moor pass.
Ben Lui - doing the full horseshoe of the ridge.
Ben an Lochain, Arrochar - not a Munro but some steep steps and an enjoyable narrow ridge.
Stuc a Chroin- near Loch Earn, follow the buttress up zig zags of a faint path or add variation.
 Michael Gordon 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig:

If you own hillwalking books such as SMC Munros or Irvine Butterfield'd book then pretty much any where they mention a narrow ridge or bit of scrambling will be cool in winter.
 Nathan Adam 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Flinticus: +1

Garbh Bheinn being a particularly nice hill, although there aren't any bad ones on Skye really ha !
In reply to Nath93: North west has a few. Beinn Alligin for starters. Forcan Ridge on The Saddle.
 Nick_Scots 12 Feb 2013
Another ridge in winter which was cool was -

Park and start in Glen Etive, cut up the hill through rough forrest on to the start of the Bidean Nam Bean ridge, traversing over tops and the narrow ridge all the way. Then return back down. Lovely and narrow at points. When I did it at Easter one year it had a double cornice - one each side of the ridge - amazing.
 Joak 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig: Clockwise circuit of the Cruachan horseshoe via Meall Cuanail, winter ridge walk, superb scenery. Wee tip,dinae be tempted to park on the newly dug up soft verge at the normal parking spot near the railway bridge,stay on the road, saw some guys digging themselves out there a couple of weeks ago!
Removed User 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Flinticus:I've never been up those.Much appreciated
 DundeeDave 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig: if you have enough to be going on with you won't want to check out this website: http://scottishwinterroutes.com/
In reply to Taurig: This UKH/UKC article covers a few, maybe one or two that haven't yet been mentioned: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=4199
In reply to Taurig: Also check out the current issue of TGO magazine for another article along these lines
OP Taurig 13 Feb 2013
In reply to all:

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, more than enough to keep me busy. I did the mini Aonach Eagach on Stob Ghabar last year as someone mentioned, this is another example of the kind of thing I'm interested in. Feel free to keep adding to the list, hopefully others will find some new ideas here too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...