Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Easy winter ridge recommendations (Grade I or lower)

Taurig - on 12 Feb 2013
At the weekend there I did the horseshoe of Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor. There was a really enjoyable bit of ridge between Ben Starav and Stob Coire Dheirg, and I was surprised to see afterwards that it's in the logbooks as Grade 1.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=185546

It wouldn't surprise me if it was low in the grade, but regardless I really enjoyed it and didn't have much difficulty with it, I just wished it went on for longer! So, my reason for this post is just to get some recommendations for similar outings; hard walks or easy grade 1 ridges that require a bit of hands on action and give you some exposure, but normally wouldn't require any more gear than crampons and one axe.*

There are a few that I have done in summer that I imagine would be suggested so I already have these in mind; Tarmachan Ridge, Fiacaill Ridge, Ballachulish Horseshoe, CMD Arete (I'm thinking the CMD could be a step above the others though, if for nothing else than the length). So basically, any recommendations for 'winter scrambling' ridges welcome, whether they be Munro trade routes, easy graded climbs, or some esoteric arete you've stumbled across I'd like to hear about them. :)

Cheers

*With the usual understanding that what can be powdered up rock one day can be a verglas coated nightmare the next.
... not showing 25 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums