UKC

How to improve phone screen sensitivity?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 13 Feb 2013
Following on from this http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=528908&v=1#x7113115 I recently got a Wildfire S.

All very nice except that the screen seems reluctant to accept input on certain keys / areas e.g. the 'n' on the virtual keyboard is tricky to enter at times.

Any thoughts on anything that can be done to make it better:

- take phone apart and give it a really good clean and dust (there's some dust under the screen)?
- download another virtual keyboard and see if this is any better?

Or are smartphone screens sometimes not perfect and I'll just have to accept that the 'n' and occasionally others take multiple keystrokes to enter?

Thanks for any help.
 BigBrother 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs: Is it new or 2nd hand? If new then take it back. If 2nd hand then your options are more limited. Screens can have faults or develop faults that cause dead spots.

I bought a week old phone and didn't use it for several months. When I did I discovered one corner wouldn't take inputs at all. As it was a popular model I could buy a replacement screen from ebay and fitted it myself. It was a bit tricky though.
 krikoman 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs: You need to use something heavier to press on the screen with, try a hammer.
 Philip 13 Feb 2013
I think that model has lots of reports of poor screen sensitivity.
 alooker 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs: When the keyboard isn't there is there a problem with that area of the screen? Is the firmware fully up to date? Failing that, send it back!
OP ksjs 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs: Thanks for replies - it's 2nd hand and I guess I could return it (ebay) but I've had it a while so doubt this will be possible.
OP ksjs 13 Feb 2013
In reply to alooker: Not necessarily / always, I do wonder if it is a software thing and / or the fact that I have quite thick / tough / glassy skin (lovely!) on my finger pads which may decrease contact / charge?

Is it easy to update the firmware, what about the big clean option, any use?
OP ksjs 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs: Just checked and the most up to date firmware is installed.
 Philip 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs:

Just as a trial, lick the screen and then try to type. Report back if there is a difference and this will help point to the correct fix.
 EeeByGum 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs:
> I do wonder if it is a software thing and / or the fact that I have quite thick / tough / glassy skin (lovely!) on my finger pads which may decrease contact / charge?

My wife has real trouble using her phone because she has very dry fingers. She has to constantly lick her fingers to get anything to work. That said, not too wet or it doesn't work either.
 PeterM 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs:

Try dipping it in de-ionised water.....
 krikoman 13 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs: try pouring honey on it.

It might not help but it'll make it taste nicer when you come around to licking it.
OP ksjs 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Philip: No licking! But I did wet my finger a bit and no real difference.
OP ksjs 14 Feb 2013
In reply to PeterM: What, the whole thing?
 gethin_allen 14 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs:
I have a htc sensation and the screen has always had a spot where the T button is when the keyboard is displayed. I should have sent it back when it was new but it was such a hassle getting delivery that I couldn't handle the stress a second time around.
I have also found that the screen is becoming less sensitive as it gets older (now 13 months old) although this could be due to the amount of crap accumulating behind it.

You can download an app that tests the screen but I've never got around to doing so.
 gethin_allen 14 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs:
Just found out that the HTC warranty is 2 yrs so I called them and am sending it back because of the ridiculous amount of crap that has somehow got inside the screen.
Clauso 14 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs:

Why don't you try telling it that you preferred fingering your old ZX-81? Tell it that it just can't satisfy your needs.
 PeterM 15 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs:

Yes the whole thing. That way it'll be totally fukked and you can get a new phone with a better screen.
 krikoman 15 Feb 2013
In reply to ksjs: Rub it on a ladies under parts.*

* This may not fix the screen but it'll make you forget about the problem for a while.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...