UKC

Best Place to CLIMB and SURF?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SophieEmily 13 Feb 2013
Want to head off on holiday this coming September with some mates. Looking for an area that won't bust our student budgets, and has Climbing and Surfing in abundance.
We have vehicular access if within road trip distance... any ideas? Who wants to come?
 Iain Thow 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast: West Coast of Lewis. Brilliant sea cliffs & great surfing. New SMC Hebrides rock guide should be out by then - over 500 new routes in the last decade, all grades.
In reply to SophieToast: Tarifa, Spain has kite surfing and climbing.
 LaMentalist 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast:

Could be worth considering Portugal and also Pembrokeshire coastline ?
 Dave Garnett 13 Feb 2013
In reply to LaMentalist:

Or Gower, or Baggy/Croyde.
 Dave Garnett 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Or Sennen.
In reply to SophieToast:

Guincho beach near Cascais had surfing when I lived there quite a while ago, and some local climbing. I think the weather can start to get wet towards the end of Sept, and baccalau isn't my recommended local dish.
 JohnO1978 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast:

Seconded on Croyde/Baggy. Quite a few reasonably priced campsites and good pubs too.
In reply to SophieToast:

Cornwall.

Pembrokeshire. Surf less reliable

Norh Devon. Again less surf options

I'd camp near a beach in Cornwall, say Hayle or Gwithian. Beach parking can be a pain. You'll have to drive for climbing and some surfing

I'll be at work sorry
 nniff 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast:

SW tip of Portugal - easyjet to Faro. loads of surfer-oriented cheap accommodation. Bolts, Trad & DWS
SW tip of England -
 Loughan 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast: Donegal?
Plenty of routes here and it catches waves all year round, which you'll need in the summer!
http://www.pete-smith.co.uk/dynamic/guidebook/index.php
 Runtothehills 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast:
North coast of Devon and Cornwall.
Any where between Croyde in Devon and Landsend, good surf any where along this coast, good climbing in loads of spots.

Croyde-Baggy Point.
Bude-Compass point.
Sennan, Landsend & Chair Ladder.
Lots of other great cliffs in between, Gull Rock, Cornakey Cliff ( One of the best HS/VS in the country in Wreckers Slad at 400ft one of the longest cliff routres)
Dont forget Bosigran, non tidal just in case tides are wrong.

SRP.
geeze 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast: Second Algarve,sun,surf and rock all year round.Surf in the south of Spain only good in the winter months,flat all summer.
 critter 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast:

Anywhere on the Northern Coast of Spain.

Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria and Basque Country
 Alun 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast:
Depends on climbing and grade and budget.

Sub-HVS and in Britain: Gower, possibly Cornwall.
HVS and upwards and in Britain: Cornwall, possibly Pembroke.

Europe-wise, anywhere in Northern Spain has great surfing and great climbing but you may have to drive between them i.e. the best climbing is not on the coast.

But, honestly, the hands-down winner for this question is the south-west tip of Portugal. Amazing beaches, consistent surf even in summer, and good climbing, including a nice mix of trad, sport and DWS. September will be the best season, with warm water, probably good weather, and hopefully some early autumn swells. Sagres is a cool little town too. Though if you stay at the campsite, bring your ant-powder! :O
johnny1 13 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast: ,

west coast of ireland is certainly worth considering,stay around lahinch/doolin area - great climbing and surfing to be had
 LennyJ1 14 Feb 2013
In reply to SophieToast: also another vote for west coast of Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...