UKC

esp light on car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nickyrannoch 13 Feb 2013
car advice please on hyundai i30

driving in snow and ice today and going up a slope the esp light flashes on on the dashn. does this mean its kicking in and working or developed a fault?
 DaveHK 13 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch:

I knew you were going to post this.

My ESP is working fine.
 RagingSphere 13 Feb 2013
Assuming its like a VW it would mean its activating.

If course you could just check what the handbook says.
 Enty 13 Feb 2013

The ESP light has been on on Mrs. Ent's Beetle for about 3 years - need to get the blighter switched off because she's thinking of selling it.....

E
nickyrannoch 13 Feb 2013
In reply to monkeymark:

hyundai manuals notoriously short on information. basically tells u where the steering wheel is
 ranger*goy 13 Feb 2013

That just mean its working. Mine (in my ford) does the same.
 davy_boy 13 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch: it will flash as soon as it detects one wheel loosing grip and needs to kick in. sometimes better in snowy conditions to turn it off as it wont allow any wheelspin by cutting the engine power wherever you might be at the time ie half way up a hill.
 RagingSphere 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:
I take it if you press and hold the ESP button it doesn't turn the light off?
 Enty 13 Feb 2013
In reply to monkeymark:

Na it's intermittent. Comes on after about 15 minutes of driving. Sometimes it doesn't. I remember looking it up on the VAG website and it's a common problem. (I think)

E
 Brass Nipples 13 Feb 2013

Means its working as intended
 Steve Perry 13 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch: My ESP light kept coming on because I had 2 different driving tyres. Swapped them for 2 the same and it solved it immediately.
 Mike C 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

I have had this where both abs & asr lights come on after 15 mins at motorway speeds, caused by a misaligned wheel sensor, have you had that checked?
Ferret 14 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch: Depends on the car and I don't know about yours. Thoughts however....ESP lights coming on and staying on or flashing or something to warn of a system fault seems reasonable to me, but most of the cars I have had it comes on when the system operates which seems to me to be an unncessary distraction. Nothing worse than pulling away, or cornering, concentrating on your driving and having a flashing light distract you at a possibly crucial time. If its doing what its meant to do, a, I can probably tell whats going on and b, if I can't I don't need to know that its doing what it is meant to!

Same with my golf 'binging' at me whenever the temp drops to 4 degrees. It invariably does it just as you are cornering or going round a roundabout and I instantly assume something more serious is wrong like a door open, or seat belt popped or some other unlikley but worrying scenario. (kids in the car etc....one always wonders what may be about to happen or, in sleep deprived state what you havn't done properly!)

Too many distractions.
 NorthenClimber 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty: How old is it? Just had our done on a Golf Mk5, but its very common problem with VW's of that age.
 PeterM 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

I had similar with my Skoda Octavia - turned out to be a knackered rear wheel bearing.
 LucaC 14 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch: No idea about Hyundai, but the esp light comes on all the time in my Renault when driving in low traction conditions, just to show that it's all working.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...