UKC

Avalanch Tranceiver

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Merlin 13 Feb 2013
I'am looking at buying a tranceiver, which one should I buy and why?

peas65 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Merlin:

Used the mammut pulse for a week, it was truly excellent, easy to sue and very easy to locate people. It also had the best range out of all the devices we tried.
OP Merlin 13 Feb 2013
In reply to peas65:

I've also used the Mammut Barryvox, and would agree that it's good in terms of easy of use etc. Eyewateringly expensive though!
 AdrianC 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Merlin: Ok - have time to add a bit more now. As always, the answer depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a simple-to-use machine that's quite forgiving of not practicing as much as one should, but is good for single burials then the BCA Trackers are well worth a look. Of the ones are a bit better (IMHO) for multiple burials the Barryvox & Pieps DSP are the ones I know the best and they're both very good. Like everything else at the moment, new models come out of the woodwork every time yu go skiing but knowing the one you have and being slick with it far outweighs any benefit of having this year's latest fandangle thing.
 Martin W 14 Feb 2013
In reply to AdrianC:

> knowing the one you have and being slick with it far outweighs any benefit of having this year's latest fandangle thing.

This.

dorangus 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Merlin: Ask yourself this first :
Will I be travelling with someone else who has one so they can find me?
Will I be in a populated area where other people will have one?
If yes.....Then good.
If no.....Then why bother?
OP Merlin 15 Feb 2013
In reply to dorangus:

Thanks for that...
 d_b 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Merlin:

I got the element barryvox last year. I haven't used it in anger, but compared to the previous generation it is incredibly easy to use.

I believe that all the current 3 antenna digital beacons are pretty good.
OP Merlin 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Merlin:

So, I've been comparing the Mummut Pulse and Element based on the article hyperlinked above.

I understand the Pulse switches from send to recieve after a period of inactivity - so if you get hit whilst searching you can theoretically be found via your tranceiver. Where as, the Element switches for the same reason to recieve, but after a period whereby it hasn't recieved a signal.

Therefore, does this mean that if you get burried whilst recieving a signal/searching for someone (within 60m radius of victim) ie on top of soemone else, your reciever will never swicth to recieve, and therefore you are theoretically 'goosed'?

Help much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...