UKC

best bet for scottish ski toomorow ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 14 Feb 2013
if you were going to choose any of the ski areas based on the weather forecast which would it be ? i had planned today and toomorow but sacked today due to the weather and a few jobs that were pressing.
Slugain Howff 14 Feb 2013
In reply to mike123:

I'm touring NE.

S
 Cuthbert 14 Feb 2013
In reply to mike123:

Glenshee I'd say. Check out the picture on their FB page.
 AndyB123 08 Mar 2013
In reply to mike123: Could add a new post, but thought I'd continue the thread.
I'm thinking of coming up late Sunday for skiing Monday, Tuesday. Any clues from anyone closer to the action where the better conditions are.

Also, there's a spare seat in my car from Manchester if anyone's interested
 crustypunkuk 08 Mar 2013
In reply to AndyB123:
I drove through Glenshee today, and all runs were open. Plenty of snow still about.
Tim Chappell 08 Mar 2013
In reply to mike123:

Other things equal, I'd always choose the Shee anyway, because it has the most terrain.

I was up there last Saturday with daughter #3 and it was way better than it looked. The webcams were showing a lot of stripiness and it was a bit warm, so it didn't look too great even when we got there. But actually the snow was completely fabulous. We skied our tiny brains out and went home very happy bunnies.

I was thinking then that the only thing it needed was another big white dump, and it looks like they're getting one now
 davy_boy 08 Mar 2013
In reply to mike123:
was up at glenshee on thursday great cover on sunnyside also seems to be less affected by the high winds than cairngorm or nevis especialy if the winds are easterly

AndyB123 08 Mar 2013
In reply to AndyB123: Thanks for the input. Has anyone got any suggestions for accomodation for Glenshee, I've only stayed at Aviemore Bunkhouse before.
Is this still a feasible base for Glenshee?
 davy_boy 08 Mar 2013
In reply to mike123: its a fair hike from aviemore to glenshee iv stayed at the spiital of glenshee hotel a few times when theres been a good deal on groupon. ask on www.winterhighland.info best site for skiing and touring info in scotland.
Bonito 08 Mar 2013
In reply to mike123: Braemar accommodation. Best guest house, Cranford. 013397 41675. One of the couple who own it skied the six Cairngorm tops this week!
Tim Chappell 08 Mar 2013
In reply to AndyB123:

The llama man at Blacklunans is quite fun too though. He showed my kids round his llamas even though we'd disturbed him at dinner-time and there was absolutely no financial payoff in it for him.

The llamas are called Jet, Atticus and Brad, should you need to know.
 AndyB123 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Thank you very much for the links.
I've skied at Cairngorm several times, but you've just persuaded me to do something different!
Tim Chappell 08 Mar 2013
In reply to AndyB123:

My pleasure. It's usually a lot easier to get to Glen Shee too-- the A9 is full of roadworks at the mo and a bit of a sod even when it isn't. The A93 is a bendy wee track, but they work hard at keeping it open. Think 45 minutes from Perth.

Top tip at Glen Shee: unless you arrive early you will probably be parked up by the attendants about a third of a mile from the ticket office. Do NOT do this walk in ski-boots. Do it in trainers, and stick them in your backpack once you've got to the bottom of the first lift.

Enjoy. When the Shee is bad it's very, very bad, but when it is good, it's f*cking ace, as good as the Alps, and only an hour from my house
 AndyB123 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Well, the conditions are looking fairly promising for early next week, so hopefully it should be ace.
My boots aren't comfortable at the best of times, so will certainly take your advice. And as for living so close, I can only be jealous
Tim Chappell 08 Mar 2013
In reply to AndyB123:

You there on Monday? You might even see me there. God knows I've earned a time out in the last fortnight...

I would go Sat or Sun, but this weekend I have < mysterious new-routing voice> Other Plans that I'm not allowed to tell anyone about till we actually nail the thing, or possibly things
 AndyB123 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Well, I'll be on my own, driving up Sunday PM.
It looks like weather will be marginally better early next week, and with quieter slopes, could be lucky.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...