UKC

112 or 999?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Milesy 14 Feb 2013
In the UK is makes no difference calling 999 or 112. 999 still works on other networks. 112 is only useful if you are outside the UK where 999 is not standard.
OP winhill 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> In the UK is makes no difference calling 999 or 112. 999 still works on other networks. 112 is only useful if you are outside the UK where 999 is not standard.

Yes, I always thought that, what about the text thing? Can you register for 999 SMS and get prioritised in the same way?

GSM specs 112 for locked phones, do UK sellers add 999?

The bit about SIM less phones sounds iffy, as the phone thinks it can dial emergency numbers but the networks won't connect it (according to the Red Cross).

Jack B 14 Feb 2013
In reply to winhill:

I think the following is accurate. If anyone knows better, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Most modern GSM phones you can buy in the UK recognise 999, 112 and 911 as emergency numbers. They might also recognise 000, 118, 119 and others. They then make a special emergency call, not a regular call to that number. In that case they don't even pass on the number you dialled, so it doesn't matter.

This has several advantages. The phone will roam to other networks to place the call. The network will pass some location information to the emergency services (in a city, it'll probably be very accurate, in the mountains it'll only give a very general area). The network will prioritise the call over normal traffic. The phone will likely make the call even if it's locked, or sometimes even without a SIM.

If you're phone doesn't recognise the number as a special one it will place a normal call to the number you dial. In the UK, 112 and 999 are absolutely identical, abroad you'll want to make sure it's the correct one.

The bit about texts is also useful. Googleing "text 112 uk" will likely get you no information, but there's a website here that might help http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

Finally, I'm sure everyone knows this, but it bears repeating: Mountain Rescue are not a service as far as the call centres handling 999 are concerned. When they ask which service you require, say police, then tell the police control room you need mountain rescue.
 AndyDWilson 14 Feb 2013
In reply to winhill:

Is there not a "non-emergency" number as well like 101? Tried to use it in Glasgow last week but only heard a message saying "101 will soon be available in Scotland" so what's the non emergency service number for Scotland?
 sheeny 14 Feb 2013
In reply to winhill: you can also dial 911 thanks to our american friends
 hedgehog77 14 Feb 2013
In reply to winhill: Yes the txt works with 999 as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...