UKC

swanage trad conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kevster 14 Feb 2013
Anyone been there recently? I was thinking this weekend.
And for that matter has it rained much this week?

The top out/approach is it horribly muddy or just soft?
Any seepage issues?

Cheers.
Kev.
 LukeyG 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Kevster: Paths are terrible, climbing still good as ever just avoid areas with long scramble top outs unless you have a preplaced rope
 TomBaker 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Kevster:
Not been over to swanage in a few months, but its been raining heavily in the area a lot! Including last night.
OP Kevster 14 Feb 2013
In reply to TomBaker:

Thanks Tom and Luke,
Sounds like bog bashing approach but OK when your on route. I think the good weather coming and the breeze should dry most of the trad areas enough to climb something dry.

Aside from my original question,
Has anyone any knowledge of the quarries or portland seepage wise?

Thanks.
 jamesc88 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Kevster: I got down winspit a couple of weeks ago and it was all looking okay. Standard muddy approach though.
 Monkey_Alan 14 Feb 2013
In reply to jamesc88:
You can bypass the standard boggy bit at the bottom of the field by walking through the village to join the track where it meets the road. It's not much further and is generally much more pleasant if it's muddy underfoot.
OP Kevster 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:
Is be interested in a description of that approach if its easy to do so please, Alan.
Ta
 Monkey_Alan 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Kevster:
From the Square and Compass, follow the road to the right of the pond and past the church. As you leave the village, there's a big track on the left with a fingerpost signed Winspit.
http://goo.gl/maps/nyyOf
 cbonner 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Kevster:

Take your wellies for the walk in!

Climbing still good, waterfalls have spouted in places!
 jamesc88 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan: I just pretend there's a Predator about and I'm Arnie. Roll around in it a bit. Does wonders for the skin too.
OP Kevster 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:

Thanks for the info Alan.

Swanage was in great nic today. Top outs solid too. We were the only team at Boulder Ruckle for the first half of the day. T shirts as it was hot. Very little damp on routes. Have fun those who go tomorrow.

K

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...