Skiing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Skiing with a fused ankle

pec on 14 Feb 2013
As a result of worsening arthritis from an old climbing injury I had to have my right ankle fused nearly 2 years ago, its been a long slow recovery but I'm nearly there and thinking about skiing again.
The normal skiing postion is to have your knees pushed forward over your toes but my foot and lower leg are now permanently fixed at 90 degrees.

There's a tiny bit of movement in the lower ankle joint (subtalar, it was the tibiotalar that was fused) but nowhere near enough to ski normally.

Given that people ski with allsorts of disabilities I imagine it must be possible to ski but I think I'm going to need some boot or binding modification to lift the heel and tip my knee forwards.

Does anybody have any experience of this, know of anyone who skiis with a fused ankle or know who might do such a modification?

I'm not thinking of booking a ski holiday this season But I'd like to go next year and a "trial run" for a weekend in Scotland late this season would be nice.
... not showing 7 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums