UKC

Aonach Eagach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Milesy 15 Feb 2013
I have only done the AE under good snow and cold but was wondering how it goes with soft snow a couple of degrees above freezing. I.e. Tomorrow. Will it be too much of a trudge to be enjoyable?
 baileyswalk 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Did it last year in rising temps, sugary snow and with a fair bit of scraping about. It was still enjoyable, had a good day out. A clear sky helps tho!
 Darkskys 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy: I completed it last week in some pretty sh*t conditions, might as well of been using ice skates as it was so powdery!
Still a cracking day and worth every second
 Joak 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:
Not ideal conditions granted but a hunner times better than sitting aboot the hoose, take a towel for when you get back to the car!! I'll defo be trudging along a ridge or two.
David Buckett 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy: I think the wind strength needs to be taken into consideration as well, I would take the whole picture of the forecast.
OP Milesy 15 Feb 2013
In reply to David Buckett:

Wind looks fine for tomorrow. 25mph easing. Freezing level sitting at 900m without showing any rise which looks good for me so the snow shouldnt be quite as mushy.
 Jamie B 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Looked wintery enough from the other side of the Glen today. Go for it, it's always a pleasure.
 Tony the Blade 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Out of curiosity... Do most people down-climb or abseil down from Am Bodach?

We're hoping to do AE week after next (conditions dependent) and wondered about taking either a small confidence rope or full blown 50m job.

I'd always assumed it was a down-climb, but recently saw someones blog and they abseiled it.

Cheers
OP Milesy 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

We downclimbed when I done it but the neve was like toffee everywhere. I reckons it might be pretty scrappy if soft? There was certainly ab tat there anyway.
OP Milesy 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Thanks Jamie. No one wants to go with me and dont fancy it completely solo. Going a walk up Ben Lawers instead in the hopes of a wee inversion. Need to get out the house.
In reply to Milesy:

ok cheers - I guess we'll have to wait and see on the day
 neil the weak 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: I think it's much more common to downclimb. All the times I've been along it we've been quite a mixed ability group and everyone has downclimbed OK. Conditions have ranged from good neve to light powder and it's been OK in all of them. You could always pack your lightst half rope somewhere in the party. I've never got the rope out up there, but often had one in the bag just in case.
In reply to neil the weak:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade) I think it's much more common to downclimb. All the times I've been along it we've been quite a mixed ability group and everyone has downclimbed OK. Conditions have ranged from good neve to light powder and it's been OK in all of them. You could always pack your lightst half rope somewhere in the party. I've never got the rope out up there, but often had one in the bag just in case.

Many thanks, that is exactly what I thought, and wanted to hear.

Having seen the numerous pictures on here I can't wait, it's been on my wishlist for a couple of years now!
 Brass Nipples 15 Feb 2013

Down climb, you can protect if you want. A 30m half will surfice if just two of you.
In reply to Beat me to it!:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> Down climb, you can protect if you want. A 30m half will surfice if just two of you.

A three, but feel sure I'd be happy downclimbing. Thanks
 Brass Nipples 15 Feb 2013

If you get stuck behind others it can be a long day. Do the approach in the dark, and you should clear all technicalities of the ridge before darkness falls again.
 Joak 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> If you get stuck behind others it can be a long day. Do the approach in the dark, and you should clear all technicalities of the ridge before darkness falls again.

Plenty of opportunities for quicker parties to safely overtake, only delays I've experienced has been when meeting parties at the pinnacles coming in the opposite direction. Mid February, days are now mercifully longer.
 Mark Bannan 15 Feb 2013
In reply to neil the weak:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade) I think it's much more common to downclimb.

I would echo this. I don't think it's worth roping it - either downclimbing or abseiling. We used a rope later on and moved together, but we solo downclimbed Am Bodach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...