UKC

Panasonic Lumix G5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ROB W 15 Feb 2013
Greetings,
Anyone have any experience with the Panasonic Lumix G5 camera,any thoughts or info appreciated. Thanks
andrew breckill 15 Feb 2013
In reply to ROB W: Nice lightweight camaera, I use one with the 14mm pancake lens, great camera for when you want good quality pics but photography isn't the reason you've gone outdoors as its light enough and small enough to take anywhere.
 Gary Latter 16 Feb 2013
In reply to ROB W: I've had a G3 (predecessor of the G5) for about 18 months. Impressed by quality. I've also got a Panasonic LX5 compact with the additional viewfinder, which is also good, but a bit of a drain on the batteries.

Both are very good, with great results. G3/G5 seems fine for taking up most routes - just under 500g. Think G5 would be great with the compact 14-42 powerzoom - I've just got the standard kit lens, which is a fair bit bulkier, though probably more intuitive to use for those used to SLR lenses. Think the compact zoom has a lever/switch type affair to alter the focal length, rather than usual twist controls on lends barrel.

Cheers,

Gary
 Seymore Butt 17 Feb 2013
In reply to ROB W:

I've had a G5 with a standard 14-42mm kit lens for 3 months now.I'll go along with what GL says about his G3. Mine drains the battery pretty quickly as well, a new lumix battery £50ish.I picked a non lumix battery on e bay for £9 but this is even weaker in terms of power.
I'm still trying to get to terms with all the gizmo controls, and at the moment not altogether happy with the results, but that could be me being a bit slow at picking up these, only time will tell.
andrew breckill 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Seymore Butt: how are you using the camera jpegs or raw? I am not impressed by the jpeg processing, but then again I never have been with any camera. Although for a new user that is a bit of a failure on the manufacturers part if the jpeg results are not what people are happy with. I always for any photographs I keep use photoshop to set the contrast and colour balance to my likening as well as any standard darkroom things like dodging and burning.
OP ROB W 18 Feb 2013
Thanks folks for your inputon this one, One last question which maybe how long is a piece of string, what sort of duration time are you getting from the battery that comes with the camera. I tend to be in huts in the alps for sevreal days at a time,so charging can be a bit of pain,or exstended trips in greater ranges,again,charging a pain,but can do it.

thanks
 Damo 18 Feb 2013
In reply to ROB W:
> ... in the alps for sevreal days at a time,so charging can be a bit of pain,or exstended trips in greater ranges,

Forget charging unless it's a really long lightweight trip and just buy several generic spares. Cheaper, lighter, less faff. You should get at least 250 shots per battery in general use, but lots of video, zooming and cold will affect that.

The Panasonic 14-42 compact powerzoom looks great but got terrible reviews and has not been popular. It would have made a great climbing rig on the G3/G5.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...