UKC

Smilie's People.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andrew breckill 15 Feb 2013
Thought I'd go for some old school bbc drama, so ordered the series of my love film account, just settling down to watch it, cannot decide on what to drink, grey goose or a single malt?
Jimbo W 15 Feb 2013
In reply to andrew breckill:

I'd probably go the malt route myself, but whatever the drink... ...excellent choice in drama. They are some of my absolute favourite!!
 bouldery bits 15 Feb 2013
In reply to andrew breckill:

Grey Goose. But then again I often spend my time watching / readin Le Carre routing for the Russians.
In reply to andrew breckill: It's "Smiley's" BTW.

Enjoy it, it's fantastic, I'm a big fan of Le Carre.
In reply to andrew breckill: I am siding with the reds. .
 GridNorth 15 Feb 2013
In reply to andrew breckill: Best to watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy first though as Smiley's people is a follow on. The books are also very good.
In reply to stroppygob: I know it is, I cannot believe I typed that spelling.
In reply to GridNorth: watched them both avidly the first time round, so wasn't too fussed about what order i watched them in.
 Fredt 15 Feb 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to andrew breckill) Best to watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy first though as Smiley's people is a follow on. The books are also very good.

Smiley’s People is the third of a trilogy, but the BBC couldn't afford to make all three, especially as 'The Honourable Schoolboy' (the middle one) was set mainly in Hong Kong and Cambodia.
 Matt Rees 15 Feb 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Agreed, watch them in order. In fact read the books (in order of course) then watch them in order. I have read and watched these many many times, absolute masterpieces. Possibly some of my favorite ever vieweing of all time, ever. I first rented them and was blown away by how faithfully the atmosphere of the books and the cold war are recreated. I own the Doovdé box set now, an xmas gift. Treasured possesions.

The recent TTSS film with Gary Oldman was good to, but Obiwan Kenobi still makes the best George Smiley, by a country mile.

Enjoy!
andrew breckill 16 Feb 2013
I may have read one of the books around 30 odd years ago, not too sure now, I have an ipad so I'll see if there are available to download. I remember the title the Honourable schoolboy, was any drama made from it?
 silhouette 16 Feb 2013
In reply to andrew breckill: Going off at a slight tangent, the BBC (or maybe ITV) made two good dramas about the real spies some years ago; one was about Philby (played I think by Anthony Bate), Burgess (Derek Jacobi?) and McLean (Roland Culver's son I forget his first name) and the other was about Philby's flight from Beiruit (sp) (Philby in this case played I think by Richard Pascoe). Dunno if they're available online.
andrew breckill 23 Feb 2013
In reply to andrew breckill: Watched the last 3 episodes last night and realised I was not paying attention last week for the first three episodes. I am reading tinker tailor at the moment and will read them in sequence.
In reply to andrew breckill: I just got the BBC radio dramatisation of "Smiley's people" out of the library, that will be my ipod play for this week. (After "The Archers Omnibus.")

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...