UKC

Very worthwhile article about avalanche awareness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 morbh 15 Feb 2013
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or if the BMC one or indeed HillTalk would be better, but I would like to publicise the attached article by Andy Nelson in the "Hills Skills" section of the BMC website: http://www.thebmc.co.uk/hill-skills-avalanche-awareness

This article was brought to my attention by Heavy (whom many will already have know, or if not may recognise from his robust rebuttal of Dorothy-Grace Elders standpoint on the Call Kaye program on RScotland yesterday morning)

Andy's article contains a lot of good info & makes easy reading for all of us who venture out on the hills in winter...
Slugain Howff 15 Feb 2013
In reply to morbh:

Good article. I like this approach where the whole picture is taken into account and you gather information and interpret on the hoof - in the past perhaps too much emphasis was placed on digging a pit to evaluate the slope.

S
 Simon Caldwell 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:
> in the past perhaps too much emphasis was placed on digging a pit to evaluate the slope.

That's what I was taught 20 years ago. I was surprised when I did a refresher course a couple of years back that the digging of pits is no longer recommended (at least, not the digging of a single pit at the beginning of the day). We dug several pits, on the same aspect, a few metres apart, and even in the very stable conditions we had, got remarkably different results.

As you say, continual reassessment wass the current recommendation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...