UKC

Aspiring SPA instructor looking for experience

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SimonisD 16 Feb 2013
Hi

I'm looking to gain climbing instructor experience working with SPA qualified instructors who take groups climbing to help towards my own SPA qualification. I did my SPA training last summer. I can travel anywhere for suitable opportunities, so would be very happy to hear from any individuals or organisations that take groups climbing, that would appreciate voluntary support from an experienced, trained, but not yet qualified climber. I'm available from mid-March.

Cheers

Dan
 innesmac 16 Feb 2013
In reply to SimonisD:

Hi Dan,

Where abouts are you based?

Also have you looked up and approached opertators in your area
OP SimonisD 18 Feb 2013
I'm based in Watford, so travel is inevitable and not a problem.

Cheers

Dan
morley.10 18 Feb 2013
i used to work for a company call "newlands adventure centre" they own keswick climbing wall. they took on a person in your situation for a few weaks and they might be able to get your some accommodation.(cheep asessment and a foot in the door for instructing)
altadv 19 Feb 2013
In reply to SimonisD:
The outdoor Education team at Bolton Council are always looking for help with sessions. Give Clare a call
OP SimonisD 07 Mar 2013
Thanks for the ideas. Just a reminder that i'm available from next week if anyone needs any help.

Stuart..is Clare contactable through this site or are you suggesting i give Bolton Council a call directly?

Cheers

Dan
altadv 07 Mar 2013
In reply to SimonisD: Clare is on 07736180065
 Adam Perrett 11 Mar 2013
In reply to SimonisD: Hi,
I did my SPA training last year too and want to volunteer to help outdoor groups who come to my area (Portland) but some have said I need my own insurance.

Have you had experience of this problem? Is there a work-around or do I need to buy some? Any suggestions on where to get it / cost?

I have basic BMC insurance but this doesn't seem to cover it.

Any help much appreciated.
Adam
 tipsy 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Perrett: It used to be that the BMC insurance and membership of MLTUK would sufficiently cover you during the 'training' stage. This may have changed since I did it.
 Adam Perrett 18 Mar 2013
In reply to tipsy: Thanks for the reply, Tipsy.

I am going to ask the question in a new thread and if anyone can give a difinative answer and/or suggested broker.

Cheer

Adam
 JayPee630 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Perrett:

Think they're just being awkward or jobsworths, plenty of people assist on session without insurance, they'd just be covered by the people they're helping out.
 bpmclimb 18 Mar 2013
In reply to SimonisD:

Hi Dan. You may get some replies this way, but TBH it's a bit passive. If you haven't already done so, it's much better to Google or otherwise research outdoor pursuits companies; then approach them direct. Good luck, anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...