UKC

Mountain Rescue Volunteers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Superchop75 16 Feb 2013
My local Mountain Rescue team (Pendle and Rossendale) is currently asking for volunteers.

It's an opportunity I'd love try but I can't due to work fulfil the training criteria.

Every Wednesday night is not an option as I work away a lot.

Is there any other way to become part of a team?

Happy to give what time I can!!!

Slugain Howff 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

I would imagine 100% attendance at weekly training sessions is not expected. Most teams will be flexible on this. How many Wednesdays would you make in a month.
Worth asking!!

S
 cezza 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

Many teams have opportunities for people to help with fund raising such as emptying collection tins, producing monthly/quarterly newsletters, managing personal and corporate donations.
 Ann S 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

How about considering offering what time you can give as one of their exercise casualties. Lost and injured on the hill type scenario. Also the search dog rescue association use volunteer 'bodies' to help them train their dogs. Many teams also have support groups to help with fundraising and other back up help and I am fairly sure your local team has one as well. Good luck.
 richprideaux 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:

A lot of teams expect about 75% or so in the first year of membership as far as I can see. It's a tough one - membership is decided by what shift pattern you are working...
 DNS 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

Not surprisingly availability is important. I did 5 years in a local team, but when it became impossible to meet availability requirements, I chose to leave before the matter was raised. You can be the fittest mountain-god with top cas care skills; but turning up is the biggest contribution you can make.

Lots of other ways to be involved: body for SARDA; be a casualty or training; help to fund raise - just go and ask, I'm sure you would be welcome.
 Welsh Kate 16 Feb 2013
In reply to DNS:
Bodying for SARDA is a brilliant way of contributing to MR, you can either run around madly for puppies or chill out dozing or reading with older dogs. It's way more relaxing than MR training!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...