UKC

Salomon Speedcross 3 trail shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
How long do these trainers last? I just tried a pair on in Runners Need, very comfy and reduced to £70 so very tempting. But the outersole seems very soft. Great for grip, but will it last?

I would be using these for running off road, mainly foot paths/bridle paths in local countryside. A lot of mud and stoney/rubbly paths.

Also tempted by the Adidas Kanadia which are cheaper but seem more of a hybrid and probably less grip in mud, but do seem like they might last longer.

Both comfy to wear. Anyone had both?
 b_fillmore 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:

The Speedcross 3's are my go to shoe - grip wears out first, normally somewhere around the 300-350 mile mark. I then use them for a few more miles on the road...
 Darkskys 18 Feb 2013
In reply to b_fillmore: mine are around 250 and the way my sole is shaped parts of them are knackered, but as there so comfy I'm going to send them off for a re-sole and see what they can do about making them much stiffer!

amazing shoes for running though!
 Banned User 77 18 Feb 2013
In reply to b_fillmore:
> (In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús)
>
> The Speedcross 3's are my go to shoe - grip wears out first, normally somewhere around the 300-350 mile mark. I then use them for a few more miles on the road...

It depends what you run on... on the fells the upper fails first.

Probably the most versatile shoe around, they are OK for anything, road > fell.. for multi-surface running its hard to beat them. On proper fell I think they can be found lacking, but for general fell training, great.
In reply to IainRUK: Thx for the feedback chaps, I will buy them .
 The New NickB 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:

I have only used the 2, I have heard that the 3 is slightly longer lasting.

Huge heel lift for an off road shoe, I know people who have had serious problems with this, I have not always felt comfortable on technical terrain.

Probably better in the mud than Kanadias, but nothing like as good a X-talon or Mudclaw studs.

Wore through mine quite quickly, both soles and uppers.
 Wonrek 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: Just ordered my third pair, great shoe for a range of terrains, handles technical terrain really well and I've stayed upright in the mud all winter.

As has been said previously though the fabric upper lets them down somewhat. Plenty of sole left on mine but less than keen on the new 'venting' system they've developed :-/
 Banned User 77 24 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús)
>
> I have only used the 2, I have heard that the 3 is slightly longer lasting.
>
> Huge heel lift for an off road shoe, I know people who have had serious problems with this, I have not always felt comfortable on technical terrain.
>

The high heel is fine for trail and mountain running.. you know good paths.. it's when you hit the proper fell and traverses that gets an issue..

But even on the trail when you first wear them you have to keep the height in mind.. I've seen a few fall over pretty soon after wearing them for the first time..
novik 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: Good shoes, if you are looking for "universal" shoe. I'm on 600+ miles on them and only now they are starting to show some wear on material, studs are still in good condition.
Good for trail, mountain runs and ultras.

As on previous posts, they are quite uselles on mud and steep fells. Descending might be a bit painfull due to high heels, at least it is for me!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...