UKC

Peak district routes for a 30th birthday?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 18 Feb 2013
I'm looking for a selection of routes for a friends 30th birthday trip to the Peak district. I'm interested in the whole continuum of "Enjoy - terrify and maim". So far a trawl of the UKC logbooks has highlighted "Birthday Groove" at Curbar as a possibility.

Any further suggestions? Stuff that isn't desperate for the short would be good, preferably in the VS-E2 range and we'll probably be based in the Hathersage area. Bonus points for funny route names and good climbing
 EeeByGum 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: See how many VSs you can do at Stanage in a day? We got to about 30 by starting somewhere around Manchester Buttress and moving left. There are some killers en-route!
 Andy Hardy 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: elder crack?
OP Reach>Talent 18 Feb 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
Even if I lend him my size 6 camalot that one is almost certain to be on the terrify and maim end of the scale
 Pero 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Definitely a "noble failure". Well done for taking on a real challenge.
OP Reach>Talent 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Is Little Things at Stanage an unfair one to throw in, it is "only HVS".

Blue Straggler 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Pero:

Would have been more noble if I hadn't made poor old Steve lead twice his share
 Offwidth 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thats still funny to this day, what a crag to choose and what routes to start on! The nice thing about Curbar is that most of the easier and less thuggish or technical VS lines are on the left so left to right is the way to go. I think your aim would give a solid E2 leader a run for their money.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Feb 2013

> I'm looking for a selection of routes for a friends 30th birthday trip to the Peak district.

Flick through guides to see if there are routes that are suitable that were put up on day they were born?

Chris
 Jon Stewart 19 Feb 2013

Youth, Old Man, Birthday Buttress, Going Grey, Newborn and 21 Today - all at High Neb (Little things is round there too, for the 'maim' part).
 Jonny2vests 20 Feb 2013

Millstone is a good sociable Birthday crag, I had my 40th there with a bunch of friends. We just ploughed through lots of classics, Regent's Street, Great North Road, Great West Road, Dexterity, Time for Tea, that sort of thing. We had a bbq in the Keyhole Cave, slacklined, ninja camped, all jolly good fun. No suitably named routes spring to mind, but its a good crag for picnics and being social.

I'm willing to bet I'm shorter than you, and Millstone isn't renowned for reachy routes anyway.
OP Reach>Talent 20 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2vests:
Sounds good, but I don't get on with Millstone. No idea why, I like jamming but for some reason the place just doesn't seem top like me! The height thing isn't for me it is for the victim (I mean mate), I'm not even short by NBA standards.
OP Reach>Talent 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Sounds like a trip to High Neb is on the cards for one day at least!
 Jon Stewart 20 Feb 2013

I'd take a pad for those routes btw, they're the little scrappy bits between the bigger buttresses, but Marble Wall is close at hand for some 'proper' routes like Orangutan, Terrazza Crack etc.
 Alex@home 20 Feb 2013

if you want quantity and quality but not necessarily difficulty then i wholeheartedly recommend the stanage vs challenge

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=437

one of the best days i've ever had there
 Offwidth 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Alex@home: How was that list made again? Isn't that a Stanage VS challenge rather than 'the'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...