UKC

Free SIM cards?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 droites 18 Feb 2013
Not sure if this is in the right forum. Years ago, you used to be able to get a SIM card and occasionally top up when you need to. My thought is reserecting an old 'normal' phone for use in the hill and leave the iPhone safely at home. All the cards I've looked at recently seem to be pay as u go, but £10ish per month etc. Any ideas?
Thanks
 remus Global Crag Moderator 18 Feb 2013
In reply to droites: Giffgaff should do what you want: http://giffgaff.com/

You just order a free sim, set up an account on their website then add credit as you want. Skip all the stuff about goodybags, once you get to the point of actually buying stuff they give you the option to just add credit.
 Martin W 18 Feb 2013
In reply to droites: You can certainly get free PAYG SIM cards from Vodafone: https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/freesim There's no requirement to pay a certain amount over any given period, but if you don't make a chargeable call or send a chargeable text in a 90 day period then the account is put on hold, and after a further 90 days it's closed altogether (and you lose any credit you had). You can get an on-hold account reactivated by calling Vodafone's customer service number.

I keep a SIM like this in the non-smart phone I keep in the car in case of emergencies. I just have to remember to send a 12p text every so often (that's ~50p a year to keep the account active) and to keep the phone charged (mine retains its charge for months if I keep it switched off).

I'm sure other mobile service providers offer similar arrangements.
 lithos 18 Feb 2013
In reply to droites:

i can send you a Giffgaff sim - and you get 5 quid creit when you top up with 10 quid. Credit
doesn't expire and doesn't need to be regular (ir top up each month). I use it and it's good. Its part of the O2 network
 Justin T 18 Feb 2013
In reply to remus:

+1, giffgaff = o2 but cheaper.
 EddInaBox 18 Feb 2013
In reply to droites:

Asda use the Vodaphone network and are relatively cheap, 10p/minute for calls, 6p per SMS message. The sims cost 50p in store (I think you get 25p credit on it) and it looks like they are free if you order on-line, if you shop at Asda then you can get a top-up voucher printed out at the till.
 Indy 18 Feb 2013
In reply to quadmyre:
> (In reply to remus)
>
> +1, giffgaff = o2 but cheaper.
Depends IMHO
 Mountain Llama 18 Feb 2013
In reply to droites: I use a Tesco payg free sim in my mountain phone, works great in UK and abroad. Tescos use o2 network. Just POP in to any Tescos and pick 1 up.

HTH Davey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...