UKC

What happened to my toes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert 18 Feb 2013
A while ago, I seem to have strained the two toes next to my big toe in some serious way.

By strain I mean if I walk it hurts, and if I stand flat footed and flex them up at all it hurts.

Stiffer shoes are much better, and I often don't notice it.

Yesterday I noticed one of the two was significantly weaker than the opposite foot, though that could just be a coordination issue.

I can't remember how I did it, but it happened affected the middle toes of both feet. I suspect a lead fall but have no idea.

It's been 3.5-4.5 months.

Any ideas? I figure tendon damage. While go see a physio soon.

Climbing in my new shoes, which are stiffer and curl my toes forward is a painless experience. But it hurts to walk, some days are much stiffer than others.
Removed User 18 Feb 2013
In reply to needvert:

How old are you? Age related issue maybe?
 Keendan 18 Feb 2013
In reply to needvert:

Chillblanes?

Sorry it that's stupid but just in case you hadn't considered it.

I've had them this winter and found it hard to walk some days, and painful to climb. Getting better now after the snow
ice.solo 20 Feb 2013
In reply to needvert:

at the risk of sounding like an idiot (tho it wont be the last time...):

could you have broken them?
as absurd as it sounds, a good friend did just this without realizing at the time (another, more minor injury that hurt more took away the focus), only to find out months later after sucking up the pain thinking it wasnt anything more than 'something other'.
 digby 20 Feb 2013
In reply to needvert:

Damage to the sesamoid bones? Tiny bones embedded in the ligaments of the toes. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/foot_facts/a/foot1.htm

There's plenty on the web under the general term metatarsalgia. Which seems to be a fancy term for pain in the toe.
eg http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Metatarsalgia.htm
needvert 20 Feb 2013
I'm 27 so not age related. Is in the base of the toe/into ball of foot. Had cold related toe issues before, though it isn't the case right now.

Is aching a bit right now that I've gone to bed, was hurting like a mofo last night at the wall. Think I irritated it walking up stairs the day before.

Had a friend who broke his foot and didn't realise for half a year...Hmmm.

Bone damage, makes the aching make more sense. I'll make time for that physio appointment!

Got a rock climbing trip this weekend, was thinking of taking B2 boots :/
needvert 20 Feb 2013
....Yeah flexing my foot, this ain't normal after 4 months healing time.
needvert 02 Mar 2013
Update...Thanks for the replies.

Physio found no swelling or pain under palpation. Didn't think anything major was wrong, though wasn't sure of the cause.

Been given a few stretches, and told to see foot dr guy if it doesn't get better.
 Static 03 Mar 2013
In reply to needvert:

You've got classic Mortons neuroma. People get it between the 2nd and 3rd digits. Feels like you have stepped on a pebble (apparently). Pain on weightbearing.

It is a trapped nerve basically. Treatment is podiatry and if that doesnt work then minor surgery. Sometimes it resolves spontaneously.
Simon_Sheff 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Static:
> (In reply to needvert)
>
> You've got classic Mortons neuroma. People get it between the 2nd and 3rd digits. Feels like you have stepped on a pebble (apparently). Pain on weightbearing.
>
> It is a trapped nerve basically. Treatment is podiatry and if that doesnt work then minor surgery. Sometimes it resolves spontaneously.

I wonder why we see Doctors when u can get absolute diagnoses like this one of the web!!
You could equally have turf toe.
See a quack
 Static 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

Turf toe (hallux rigidus) only affects the big toe.

Plus it sounds like the physio wasnt sure and I'm assuming that after 4 months of pain he has already been to his GP.
 Static 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

Mortons neuroma is probably one of the few conditions that can be safely diagnosed on internet forums because there just aren't any other common conditions that cause pain in the middle toes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...